PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River Advice

Jason Rogers
09-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Relatively new to fly fishing, absolutely love it.

Going to drive from Sac up to the Truckee tuesday evening for some fishing 530 pm - sunset.

Any tips on which exit off 80 to try? Nymph or dry?

Thanks!!

JasonB
09-03-2012, 07:43 PM
I'd probably recommend the Glenshire drive stretch (just off the top of my head), mostly due to the fact that it contains a good variety of water types. Lots of good holes along the drive, and more when you get to the bridge. That time of day you may well have some dry fly options, but for the most part I think you'll find that the Truckee will offer lots more consistant action/rewards on nymphs.

Don't get discouraged if at first you get skunked; that river can be very fickle at times... it can also be totally "on fire" at others. Fly selection is key here, since these trout see a LOT of flies. Try looking up some of the posts by "Bigfly", a local guide up there who really does keep on top of the bug (and fish) activity on a daily basis.
Good luck, I bet you have some fun
JB

P.S. I'd give some more specific detail, but it's been close to 2 months since I fished there... that and the fact that my last day up there I got pretty much skunked...

El Rey
09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
JasonB's advice is spot on. I would add this: get off at the hwy 89/Tahoe exit, then go up to Donner Pass Rd where you'll find Mountain Hardware. The guys there can give the best up-to-date info. Then go straight through town to Glenshire Rd. Several pull-outs for parking, then walk over to the river. Should be good as it gets close to sundown.

Good luck,
Harlan

flyguy1
09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Fished all day last Friday for nothing. Fished indicator, high sticking no indicator, swinging, and stripping streamers, NOTHING. Oh well and beautiful day, and only saw a couple other fisher people. Maybe next time.

Scott

EricO
09-04-2012, 10:55 AM
I think next to the Lower Yuba, the Truckee has skunked me more times than I care to admit.

But, like Jason said it can also yield some great days. Like the Yuba it seems to be VERY hatch driven. Although I think my catch rate is better on the T. Also, there is more diverse water, IMHO.

Haven't fished it much in Fall. Looking forward to it.

EO

Dan LeCount
09-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Were kind of in a transitional period on the Truckee. The fall bugs haven't really picked up yet, but most of the summer ones are done. There's some glossosoma caddisflies (small creamy guys with rusty undertones around a size 18 ), some baetis mayflies (greyish olive body, grey wings around an 18 or 20) a few mayfly spinner falls and lots of really small midges. Stoneflies, Worm flies and even crayfish flies are also worth throwing in these between hatch periods. After dark Ive been seeing some big bugs that might be some early october caddis(creamy tannish orange, size 8 usually), but I havent been able to get one in my hand to verify. Streamer fishing is a great idea, since the water is teeming with various baitfish right now.

Truth be told, the number one thing with the river isn't generally the bugs, that's just a small piece to the puzzle. Its generally more about covering the right water,(Fish close first and work your way through the river) especially water that hasn't been fished recently by someone that knows what they're doing, (you find "the right water" by following your thermometer and being observant to current speed(super important), springs, water releases and other things effecting the water). Dont wade like a water buffalo, get your fly at the right depth, get a drag free drift, and dont wear bright clothes. You can probably fish the river almost year round with a size 8 or 10 darkish Pats rubber legs and a 16-18 light tan birds nest, pheasant tail or an EC caddis if theyre rising(barring the once in a blue moon green drake hatch or something else random). I know a few guys that fish this river about as well as anyone else that use maybe 4 or 5 different bugs for over 90 percent of their fishing. Fish a lot, observe your surroundings and you will succeed. Good luck. :)

EDIT - Oh yea, as far as stretches to fish, the Glenshire stretch has good variety and is a great recommendation, but if youre feeling adventurous and want some solitude, follow HWY 80 down past Truckee until it starts dropping into a canyon and try the Hirschdale, Floriston or Farad exits. Its much bigger water, so if youre not a strong wader, you probably want to skip it. Even if you are a strong wader, you probably want a fishing buddy. Find some rough water that feeds into a pool or a nice rocky run and fish the current edges. When it gets late, try to find some deeper calm water for the evening hatch.

second edit - Theres a large guide community based in the Truckee area, and most are pretty good by necessity. Doug Ouellette from Truckee River Outfitters, Matt "Gilligan" Coles, Arlo Townshend, Jim "Bigfly" Landis and a number of others are all worth hiring if you want a head start on the Truckee. I'm also a guide, but feel kinda weird recommending myself ahead of others,(I dont even have a nickname) but feel free to PM me if you want some help or have questions.

Jason Rogers
09-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the great advice, you guys are fantastic!

Turns out I wasn't able to get up to the Truckee today, but did get out to the American at William Pond and caught a nice 1/2 pounder in the rapids there, so a good day after all.

I'll probably head up to the Truckee with a guide--based on feedback it sounds somewhat complex up there and would be good to have some guidance first times out there.

Jason

bigfly
09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Jason, I don't really need to add anything to Dan (The Man) LeCount's post except a nick name.....
Dan is modest....he ties/fishes like a big dog. (Just don't tell him I said so....)
He's a guy I enjoy fishing with....and send him trips when I'm booked up.
Takes a while to learn this water, so yes a guide speeds things up.
Happy fishing!

Jim

Dan LeCount
09-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks Jim.

Size 14 Mahogany dun hatch yesterday! Woot! :D