PDA

View Full Version : Grande Ronde River in October for Steelhead

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Other than the Dean River in BC, this is the nicest river I have fly fished for Steelhead on.

In October it is mostly floating lines up there and small flies. The fish up there are very surface oriented because they have October caddis in there.

'Skagit Commandos' Mike McCune, Scott O'Donnell and Ed Ward are "Spey Water" guide service.

www.SpeyWater.com

They can really teach you how to fish with a two handed rod in 4 days of intense fishing.

Multi-day trips where you float, eat, sleep and fish Steelhead...~$1,600.00

Even old farts like me catch fish up there....easy wading too.

RSK
09-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Lived out that way for a few years attending WSU. Spent allot of time on the rhonde. This is a river that you could get by without a guide or a boat. Floating line and a muddler or green but skunk. Lots of car access and areas to camp if you do your homework. Only place I have fished where I have had over 10 steelhead a day on multiple trips. Shoot me a pm if you want some access roads. The bighorn sheep crossing the road are cool also.

Russell

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks RSK

Being out in the middle of nowhere is a good reason it does not get that crowded.

15 hours northeast of Sacramento.

High gas prices too.....and rattle snakes.

RSK
09-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Never ran into a rattlesnake out there but did run into a couple cougars (aside from the locals, GO COUGS). Quick flight into Lewiston and about 20 min., by rental car, to the river and fishing. It does actually get crowded. Not like over on the west side, but just remember most of the people line up next to each other thinking the other knows what they are doing. Nice stretch at the mouth that is flyfishing only and it did not get all that much pressure. Fish that stretch at dusk and you can hook up three easily most nights. Also the snake river below the mouth is great fishing and there is miles of access. The steelhead hold close to the shore, so don't let the size of the snake:eek:scare you.

Also fishing is good into Nov. Hunting season starts at some point and pulls some of the crowd off the river.

Russell

Rick J
09-03-2012, 10:14 AM
While I agree that you do not need a guide for the upper section, it is nice in the lower gorge section - been floating with Scott, Mike and all for the last 5 or 6 years and would never go back - not only are they great instructors, I consider them really good friends and that is half the fun - we have run into a number of snakes and a few years ago Scott got bit and had to be rafted out - this was the week before our trip started so they had to scramble to get another guide to fill in. I can't think of a better steelhead river in the lower 48 with more structure than this but is does get crowded in the upper stetches - thus I enjoy the lower float. Unforutantely Ed is tied up with family back east and Mike and Whitney are tied up with family out here so Scott will again need to scramble to get a group of folks together - but he is amazing that way! I will continue to book this trip yearly as it is one of the best tips I have ever done - not to say fish are always plentiful - in 3 nights/4 days the best our group has done was 64 fish - an awesome year (and this included one day when no one got a hookup!) but we have gone under 10 as well - but it is much more than about hooking fish - just casting on this water is a joy!!!

We have always wanted to fish the Snake - it looks great but we are always on our way out and in the days before our trip we stay on the Clearwater - this year Bruce and I are going for 2 weeks and going to spend a few days on the awesome looking runs on the Snake!

Rick J
09-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Bill pointed out a statement of mine: "would never go back" in the above post -it was definietly not meant that I would not go back and fish - it was meant to read I would never question my choice of hiring these guys and fishing with guides on this lower stretch -this is probably the most fun trip I take each year and I will continute it for as long as I am able!

loganmike
09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
RIck,
are you going again this year? Lets hope for some more fish!!!!! DISMAL counts thus far!

me

Rick J
09-06-2012, 07:15 AM
6 of us are signed up for the first week in October. Bruce and I are headed over a week early to play on the Clearwater and Snake and a bit on the GR - fish are always nice but we will have a great time independent of catch rate - I am hoping for some cooler weather to come in very soon which might help with water temps

R-

loganmike
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I hear ya on the Rick, we are floating the second week of October. Looks like the weather is a changin next week. High of 70's.

Make sure you give me a holler before the spey clave and what not. we can split a beer and share a run or two on the CW prior!

me

Rick J
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Mike - send me a PM with your cell phone number - I sent you one just now
R-

loganmike
09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
R-

PM sent.

me

Bruce Slightom
09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKT7xHTWYJU

Can not wait.

PatrickM
09-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Sweet slide show. That got me all fired up.
I'm doing the float starting on the 10th of Oct. I'll be up there a couple of days before and after. Hope to run into some of you guys up there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Some go on an annual October float/camp trip with Spey Water Guide Service on the Grande Ronde River.

www.speywater.com

It is one of the most friendly rivers I have waded too.

They can take anyone from a beginner to an expert.....young or old.