PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma 4x2 for pulling raft?

James C
09-01-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure where else to post this, so here it goes...

Is anyone pulling a raft trailer around CA with a 2wd tacoma? I'm in the market for a new truck and I'm not thrilled about spending the extra money on 4x4, unless it's necessary. I'm towing my 13' raft with trailer all over Norcal and southern OR... trinity, klamath, coast, rogue, the D, etc.

Anyone kicking themselves, wishing they had gotten a 4x4 model instead of the 2wd?

thanks
JC

Ben Kobrin
09-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't think 4wd will necessarily improve your towing (performance on the road) but the main consideration in this case would be the quality of the put-ins and take-outs that you will be using. As I'm sure you know, access points on rivers can range from well maintained concrete ramps to extremely steep and slippery mud banks.

Personally, I tow with a 4wd and would not consider changing. I don't want to ever have to pass over good water simply because I can't reach it...worse yet, I don't want to get stuck trying to get somewhere I don't belong. Love the Tacos, by the way. They will run FOREVER!

-Ben

Mark Kranhold
09-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Not a Tacoma owner but what comes to mind is getting into some of those launch/ takeout areas. Snow can be a factor as well when winter steelheading.

Ben Kobrin
09-01-2012, 09:58 PM
After further thought, you may want to check out what the guides drive on the rivers that you fish. It's hard to get rich as a fly fishing guide, so if they spend the extra cash on 4wd then it's because they need it!

-Ben

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I think 4 wheel drive is necessary in some places where launching is a little bit in the wild.

You can call our shop tomoorow and talk with Andy who has done lots of this.

PS: A Toyota Tacoma, 2 wheel drive, PreRunner has a locking rear end where you can lock both rear wheels in with a switch on the dash. This will help some for launching...

Lance Gray
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I have two cars I tow with.

One is a 2012 Chevy Crew Cab - so I want talk about that.

The other is my 2012 Honda CRV all wheel drive. It is awesome. I haven't had it in the mud and snow yet. (I dont know if I will) but all the launches on the Lower Sac that are improved - Bonney, Anderson and so on. The CRV does great. I also get 27 mpg. From my home in Willows to Redding and back I burn $23 in gas. $13 when I go to Oroville. I pull my 18 foot driftboat with ease!!!

Brakes well also - which is more important.

I hope this helps!!!

Lance Gray
Fly Guide
530-517-2204

fishngy
09-02-2012, 09:02 AM
I have a '02 Tacoma, 5 speed, four banger, and pull a 12' Alumacraft all over the State. Never had problems launching except once in the Delta on a old wooden ramp. Algae covered the ramp and I needed help from fellow Keine's board members to get off the ramp. Generally use concrete ramps for launching and have never wish I had 4x4. My little truck is rated to pull 3500#, but my boat is much less than that amount. I think I get about 22/23 mpg pulling my boat. Normally I get 25/26 mpg driving to work and town trips. Really depends on where you plan to launch your boat. I have enjoyed my truck and it has served me well over the years for what I use it for. Good luck finding what you are looking for in your next vehicle.

dude02
09-03-2012, 11:13 AM
All of the guides I know and see in Redding have 4wd rigs. Most are full size trucks to carry clients and gear. Some also use SUV's, mostly 4Runners and XTerras. 4wd isn't needed on the lower sac at all, but the majority all fish the Trinity (and other rivers) regularly. Like others said, if you are fishing lots of steelhead waters, there will be far more put ins that are primitive. Some are easy, some are very tough. I would want the flexibility knowing that I could fish whatever run I wanted and not be limited to "nicer" put ins and take outs.

Also, going from Redding to the Trinity, sometimes Buckhorn Summit will have chain restrictions. If you a pulling a trailer with 2wd, any type of chain restrictions (R-1 modified, R-1, R-2) will require you to chain up. Having 4wd to go over the pass without chains is nice. Even without chain restrictions, I like having 4wd on icy Trinity county roads. While I haven't fished lots of other coastal areas, I imagine you will run into similar road conditions elsewhere. 4wd or AWD is very nice to have.

As far as the rig you want, your raft and trailer will not tax a 4 cyl. Toyota. However, if you do decide on 4wd (4th generation), it can be a bit more difficult to find a 4 cyl. with 4wd. Most are 6 cylinders. I have a 2006 4wd 4Runner (v6) and it pulls drift boats/rafts with no problems. Fuel mileage is fair, about 16/20, with Toyo A/T's. An AWD rig with some ground clearance would likely do better on fuel, pull your trailer with no problems, and get you into most put ins you're likely to encounter.

AnadromousFly
10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Just sold my 03 Tacoma 4x4 and drift boat. The boat was 18' and the truck didn't care but I have used 4wd at many of the launches in Oregon and on the coast because of the mud and gravel. I would suggest that the 4wd model is worth the mileage and price difference if you are a serious non fair weather steelheader.

aaron
10-26-2012, 10:08 AM
4x4 is worth it, especially if you're looking at the 4.0. With a heavy foot there's not much difference in MPG. As a former prerunner owner with the locking rear I often wished I had 4x4 but never thought gee I'm glad this is 2wd. YMMV.