PDA

View Full Version : 8 weight?

Tony
09-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I am thinking about an 8 weight. I have a 7weight tcx and a 9 weight xi3 and an old Redington DFR.

I was thinking about a 1 piece maybe a hardy sintrix. I casted an NRX and it feels like a dead stick to me. I tested a 9 mweight sintrix when i bought my xi3. I liked it but I liked the xi3 more.

It will be primarily a saltwater/Striper rod.

thoughts about brand/type and a one piece.

civicrr
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Actually, I like the NRX 8wt (1088-4, I've not cast the 1 piece 1068-1). Out of curiosity, what flyline/grain weight did you cast on the rod?

IMO, using a 'regular' line vs the shooting line systems that I'm using doesn't feel like it loads the rod adequately. I'm using the rod with Rio Outbound Short lines or 30' to T-11/running line. Both lines end up weighing 330gr. I've lately been using the Airflo Sniper Sink 7 on it too. IIRC, this line, while still an integrated shooting line like the Rio OBS, is a little lighter than the 330gr. I'm primarily using it for stripers & occasionally largemouth bass (with Sage Largemouth line).

Sintrix 8wt one piece isn't quite as powerful as the NRX. It does have really nice line feel. In power & line feel, it falls somewhere between the Xi3 & NRX. Push it hard & it won't crumble. Not a weakling by any means but it doesn't seem to have quite the reserves that the NRX does when pushed hard.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Some of the best casting #8, 9 and 10 weights fly rods are the new Sage ONE series.

Tony
09-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I throw the 9 weight primarily with a rio outbound short 330 grain with 30 ft int head.