PDA

View Full Version : Two guides fish the Pit River this week.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2012, 11:36 PM
I fished the Pit River yesterday with my friend Chris Parsons, who is a Fly Shop guide. Chris knows the Pit better than most others, and I wanted to see what the new flow regime had done for (or not done for) fishability of the water. I've fished this river a lot in the past, but not since they established the new flows about a year ago.

Yesterday we fished Pit 3, 4 and 5. We were going to fish Pit 7 also, but couldn't get there due to the fire which was just over the ridge from where we were fishing on Pit 5, because the roads leading west from Hwy. 299 were closed (mainly Fender's Ferry Road).

Here's what I found:

1. In general the river is more difficult to fish under the new flow regime. Considering that the river was very difficult to fish before the new flows, the added water decreases the fishable area in some others but creates opportunities in others. That said, the wading is tricky and in some areas downright dangerous.

2. Pit 3 has a goodly amount of fishable water. New clearly marked access trails and parking areas, along with a new campground, have been established by PG & E. They also paved the road for the entire distance. We fished an area of Pit 3 that is away from all of the marked areas and difficult to access. I caught a few smaller (12-14") rainbows in this stretch in the morning.

3. Pit 4 also has a reasonable amount of fishable water. Again, wading is very tough in most places and the water can come up at any time. However, at one spot I landed 4 fish over 2.5 pounds. See the attached pictures--Chris is holding two of the fish I caught because neither of us remembered to bring a net. The risks and toughness of wading were worth it, at least yesterday.

4. We fished the Schoolhouse run near the Pit 5 dam and powerhouse. I hooked two very large fish there but didn't land either of them because they both got into the heavy whitewater just below us. I did land some smaller fish.

5. We tried to get to Pit 7, but as mentioned above the fire resulted in road closures to the west. That fire is going to be very hard to put out.

6. All of the fish were caught on my short line system. The flies that worked: Bill's Stick Caddis #8, Brown Jimmy Legs with green legs, #8; Blll's Little Greenie #16 (a green rock worm soft hackle fly that I created).

--

Bill Carnazzo
Spring Creek Guide Service
5209 Crestline Drive
Foresthill CA 95631
(530) 367-5209 (H) (916) 295-9353 (C)
"I fish because I suspect that men are going
along this way for the last time, and I for one
don’t want to waste the trip" Robert Traver, 1964
Web site: www.billcarnazzo.com
Email: bcarnazzo@ftcnet.net

Darian