PDA

View Full Version : Amnesia Running Line

James C
08-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello. I just replaced my standard running line on my Hardy with 200' of 30lb Amnesia. Shoots like crazy and I don't have to coil as much line in my hand when stripping in. It works great. I think it'll be a little rougher on my hands, but that's the trade off. I'm excited to use it in the winter too, especially with the SA intermediate Skagit head. Should have a really nice "connected" feel to the fly.

My question is this. What knot should I put on the end of the Amnesia to connect to my scandi or skagit head? Some kind of loop, obviously. It would be nice if it were as large as the loop on the Airflo running, so I can feed the entire head through, just as I did before.

thanks again
James C

aaron
08-31-2012, 01:12 PM
I just use a double or triple overhand making the loop as big as needed. Coat it with some knot sense so it slides nicely through the guides and you're set.

Darian
08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Either of Aaron's double or triple overhand knots is a good choice but they seems to catch/rattle in the guides for me. In using amnesia in saltwater fishing, I've settled on a Spider Hitch as it's a lower profile and a compromise between overhand knots, Perfection Loop and a Bimini Twist. The Spider Hitch ties up easily, provides a certain amount of cushion (stretch) and hasn't failed me in nearly 10 (??) years of fly ishing at La Ventana.

Just something else to think about.... :-|

James C
08-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Great. Both are easy to tie.

How about a Bimini Twist vs. the Spider Hitch?

Thanks
JC

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Any loop knot will work because 30# test Amnesia is around 0.025".

Steelhead tippet should not normally be heavier than 15#.

A perfection loop tied so it is big might be good.....

A surgeons loop would be slightly stronger but bulkier in that large diameter.

Bimin and Spider Hitch could be good.

Try them all........
__________________________________________________ ________

Another popular mono for shooting line is Rio 'SlickShooter'.

'Varivas AIRS' nylon monofilament is very popular for tournament Spey casting.

We have them all at the shop in many sizes(diameters / pound test)

http://flyshop.kiene.com/monorunning/shootinglines.aspx

toby
09-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi James, I like the Rio Slick Shooter my self with a double surgeon loop. What ever knot you use be sure to glue it. A perfection loop with out glue is a recipe to loose a head.
Imagine walking up on a group of a guys shoulder to shoulder on the Russian you strip out out your line and roll it out, next a water haul, you shoot five feet of over hang on your backcast a strong smooth haul on your forward cast you release and there goes your shooting head flying a across the river.The only thing you can do is reel up in embarrassment and hope not to many noticed.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2012, 07:10 AM
After thinking about all this Toby has a great recommendation here.......surgeons loop.