PDA

View Full Version : Heenan

Scott V
08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Heenan opens this Friday, correct?

jayclarkflyfishing
08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes it does. Night time temps have been cold up here in the mountains. Had frost on the boat at Milton this am. Heenan could fish very well this year.

Enjoy!

Jay

Scott V
08-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks Jay, I will probably be there on Sunday. I'll post a report if I go.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
It is usually open Friday/Sat/Sun in September and October.

If you can only make it up there once this fall I would go in October.

Scott V
08-31-2012, 07:29 AM
You know me Bill, I'll get up there at least twice. Once this Sunday and then again in October.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2012, 07:34 AM
We are not worried about you Scott.........you are a true "Commando Fly Fisher".

That is an extreme compliment....

......and thanks Scott for all the wonderful post and photos you put here to help make this a great forum.

SHigSpeed
08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
I was going to double check, but I did steer Scott wrong. Thought it was the first weekend AFTER LD.

Go get 'em!

_SHig

flyfish21
09-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I quit fishing there about 5 years ago for obvious reasons, poor fishing. Unfortunately not much has changed. Fished with a friend for 4 hours Friday morning with the same results. I saw more lure fisherman than fly fisherman. They usually outfish the fly guys 5 to 1. There catch rate was poor. Considering most of them troll up and down the lake for hours, many I spoke with were extremely disappointed... Occasionally you can get lucky there and hit a hot day, but more then likely you may fish for hours without a single hit. Years ago was a different story. I'm not sure if anyone has the answer to what has happened to such a fine fishery, not anyone from the Tahoe area anyways. I would take Bill's advice and wait till the water cools and/or when you hear a good report from this site. Good luck, you'll need it.

Ed Wahl
09-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Sorry Flyfish21 (did your mom really name you that?) but your methods are way wrong.
Take a lesson from Scotty and hit any fishery whenever you can and as often as you can. Ignore the reports, and especially ignore the success (or lack of) of conventional fishermen.

Sorry your first post here was such a bummer, but what the hey, welcome to our little board.

Ed Wahl
And yeah, my mom named me that.

Scott V
09-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Can't catch fish if you don't go. Got 3 today, a 19", 21" and a sweet 23". Didn't see another person catch anything. Trolling might get you 1, but casting and stripping non-stop got me 3. All fish caught on an intermediate line with my olive frog snot fly. Even had a bald eagle fly over. Next time I plan to take a floating line, lots of top water action, not just jumping but slurping. I was off the water by noon and heard that the bite was good in the evening. Next time I am going to get there later in the day to fish til sun down.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Hennan/P1000047.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Hennan/P1000052.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Hennan/P1000053.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Hennan/P1000055.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Hennan/P1000059.jpg

gene goss
09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Nice going Scott.....looks like you had the lake to yourself....do know what the water temp. was?

Ed Wahl
09-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Way to go bud. Some nice looking fish there.
Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
That's my guy........

flyfish21
09-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I am sorry my post didn't meet to your standards. My goal is give an honest report to all that view this site. I have fished Heenan for the past 20+ years as many of my friends have and they share my thoughts also. Your comments are in poor taste. Your not in any position to judge ones thoughts or perspectives, especially when you have never met that person, have no information on their background, experience and abilities. And, no, my mother did not give me that name; you should have the common decency to leave member's mothers out of your comments!

Scott V
09-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Flyfish21 or whatever your real name is, the mother part was a joke. We like for people to use their real name when posting on Kiene's. It seems to keep down the harsh attacks on others, but if you prefer to use a fake name then go ahead. But nothing personal was meant so don't take it personal.

As you stated you have not been there for 5 years, so why would anyone take any reports or thoughts on the lake as a feeling for how it fishes today. I have had one skunk in the years I have fished there. It seems people do not learn to adopt to the situation and adjust their fishing in order to get fish. I for one have no problem catching fish there, so if you do not like the lake then that is fine, just leaves more fish for the rest of us.

Ed Wahl
09-03-2012, 09:06 AM
flyfish21 that was not meant as a crack on you or your mother. Just my humorous(or maybe not it turns out) way of wondering about using an alias.
My sincerest apologies if you were offended, that was definitely not my intent.

I'm not questioning your angling prowess or experience at all, just the wisdom of putting off a trip or even canceling based on someone else's negative reports.
Based on Scotty's smiling face behind the mask I'd pick his method of just going regardless.

It's just an opinion, not a put down.

Sorry about pissing you off, I didn't mean to do that.
Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi Bill,

I talked to a fish and game biologist and he said the creel survey showed good fishing the first 2 weeks and then again in October at Heenan Lake.

Sam Yee

__________________________________________________ _________________

Thanks Sam

flyfish21
09-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks Ed, apology accepted! Scott: I live fairly close to Heenan Lake and have a few friends who still fish there, although only occasionally. We share information on a regular basis. The catching rate has disminshed in the past few years. We are concerned about this fishery as it was one our favorte spots years ago. The guides from our local fly shop rarely take anyone clients to the lake as they did in the past. I think the Tahoe guys are little frustrated since what use to work doesn't seem to anymore. Maybe we got a little spoiled over the years and now not as willing to put in the time and effort to figure a better method...I am certainly guilty in that regard.
For what is worth the surface temp was around 65-67 degrees and the algae was very minimal. The parking lot was full on Friday, but as i mentioned earlier-the majority were lure fisherman, most of which were trolling back and forth.

PS: I have posted many times on this site (which is one of favorites), but under a different name. Had to change names for technical reasons. thx

Scott V
09-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I have learned to ignore reports by others. Even if one of my closest friends gave me a report, I still go and see for myself. I know for some people that 3 fish might not be good enough to go fishing for, but I have gotten past the point of needing to catch lots of fish. For me it is about being there and enjoying all of natures beauty, I got to see another bald eagle while at Heenan and that in itself makes the trip worth it. If I catch one fish I am happy, if I get more than that is just an added bonus. I'll be going back again in October, I'll post a report after that trip.

You can't catch fish if you don't go!

gene goss
09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks Ed, apology accepted! Scott: I live fairly close to Heenan Lake and have a few friends who still fish there, although only occasionally. We share information on a regular basis. The catching rate has disminshed in the past few years. We are concerned about this fishery as it was one our favorte spots years ago. The guides from our local fly shop rarely take anyone clients to the lake as they did in the past. I think the Tahoe guys are little frustrated since what use to work doesn't seem to anymore. Maybe we got a little spoiled over the years and now not as willing to put in the time and effort to figure a better method...I am certainly guilty in that regard.
For what is worth the surface temp was around 65-67 degrees and the algae was very minimal. The parking lot was full on Friday, but as i mentioned earlier-the majority were lure fisherman, most of which were trolling back and forth.

PS: I have posted many times on this site (which is one of favorites), but under a different name. Had to change names for technical reasons. thx

Thanks for the temp. info.

Scott V
09-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Gene I got 62 degree's when I was there on Sunday. Temp didn't change from 7 til noon.

Morgan
09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
A buddy and I fished heenan last friday. A few rollers on the surface. We fishd about 2 hours. I got skunkd...not one bite. My buddy managed one to the tube under the indy. Heenan always fishes like garabage for me. But I love the scenery and im determined to get something outta there one day.

Woodman
09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=Scott V;122485] I know for some people that 3 fish might not be good enough to go fishing for, but I have gotten past the point of needing to catch lots of fish. QUOTE]

The fish in your pics are a good day anywhere, anytime