PDA

View Full Version : Frank Matarelli fly tying tools, made in SF, CA

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-28-2012, 12:53 PM
We use to carry the full line of Frank's fine stainless steel fly tying tools made in San Francisco.

He did make a special small Midge bobbin that works with the little bobbin thimbles from sewing machines and the small spools of Pearsall's Gossamer Silk thread for classic old patterns for $19.99.

I din't think the Frank's son makes any of the products now.

Many companies copied or knocked off the Frank Matarelli tools.

If you look around in the online catalogs like Feather-Craft they should have some that are very similar to the Matarelli products.

Bob Scheidt
08-28-2012, 07:55 PM
His long tube bobbin is my favorite.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
30 years ago they were the only game in town for quality tools.

Frank Sr is 96 and his son Frank Jr runs the company at 72.

Last year they were both at the Spey-O-Rama in SF.

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-10-2012, 11:50 AM
We carry the full line of Frank's fine stainless steel fly tying tools made in San Francisco.

Bill---do they still produce their whip finisher?...It was a classic tool.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Jay Murakoshi
09-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I use to have a 100 bobbins and 300 sewing machine bobbins. Frank Sr. made the best whip finishing tool that was ever put on the market. Easy to use. To this day, I still can't figure out how to use that spring loaded Thompson Whip Finisher. My whip finisher was a special one that Frank Sr made, it had a razor cutter on the end of the handle. Then I found out what my fingers were for, " whip finishing". I still have the whip finisher and a few Cal Bird Dubbing tools.

Jay

Dave E.
09-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Here's a special set that Frank made many years ago. The second photo shows the thread cutting groove on the rear of the whip finisher.

Enjoy, Dave