PDA

View Full Version : 5wt or 6 wt Switch rod?

DeepSea
08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm looking at getting a switch rod strictly to fish for half pounders and shad on the American River and wondered if I should go with a 5 wt or a 6 wt switch rod?

Thanks!

Bill

Lance Gray
08-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Bill,

I use a 6wt X-Axis switch for both half pounders and shad all over the valley. i also use it on the Trinity, Klamath and surf fishing. A great stick!!

Lance Gray
Fly Guide
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Trout, Half-pounders and Shad = #5

Half-pounders, Stripers, Shad, Steelhead= #6

Just my ideas....

I am getting a 4 weight for Trout and Half-pounders.

Jeff C.
08-28-2012, 07:21 AM
A 6 wt will cover everything in the American except for adult SH, salmon and large stripers. If you can affort it, Sage TCX for a light, fast action (my own perference) rod.

DeepSea
08-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I have a lesson scheduled with Bill Lowe and he's bringing a bunch of Ross for me to demo including the Sage ONE and TCX. I demo'ed the TCX yesterday at Kiene's and I think I'm gonna be in big trouble with the wife soon! :(

Bill

Jed Peters
08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Interesting question.

I'd say it has more to do with grain weight of the line than the NUMBER that is listed.

For example, the Ross #6 switch rod takes the same grain weight as my #5 TCX.

So, the TCX fishes "big" and the Ross fishes "small".

Take that into consideration.

For what it's worth, as a TCX owner, I'd be $500 richer and just as happy with a Ross #6 switch rod having fished both back to back.

Bill is smart in bringing the Ross, and you being able to try against the "big boys" from Sage.

Edit: Oh yeah, I caught an adult steelhead on my 5wt TCX and didn't feel under-gunned. I nymphed up several 12-15 pound steelhead on my single hand 6 weight and felt under-gunned while on foot, but the 6 weight single hand was fine utilizing from a boat (easier to land and fight the fish from a boat). A 6 weight single hand rod is the equivalent of a 4 wt switch rod.

DeepSea
08-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback Jed. I think taking a lesson from Bill and testing different rods will be great. Nothing like trying out different rods on the water.

I have no biase towards one brand over another. Most of my rods are tfo's because they're great rods at an unbeatable price for the majority of my fly fishing, panfish and small bass. However, I won't hesitate to buy a Sage ONE or TCX if that is what I enjoy casting. Either way am very excited to get a switch rod.

Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Interesting question.

I'd say it has more to do with grain weight of the line than the NUMBER that is listed.

For example, the Ross #6 switch rod takes the same grain weight as my #5 TCX.

So, the TCX fishes "big" and the Ross fishes "small".

Take that into consideration.

For what it's worth, as a TCX owner, I'd be $500 richer and just as happy with a Ross #6 switch rod having fished both back to back.

Bill is smart in bringing the Ross, and you being able to try against the "big boys" from Sage.

Edit: Oh yeah, I caught an adult steelhead on my 5wt TCX and didn't feel under-gunned. I nymphed up several 12-15 pound steelhead on my single hand 6 weight and felt under-gunned while on foot, but the 6 weight single hand was fine utilizing from a boat (easier to land and fight the fish from a boat). A 6 weight single hand rod is the equivalent of a 4 wt switch rod.

Very good ideas Jed....

Deepsea, you will be in good hands with Bill Lowe.

Rick J
08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
I think a 6 wt (again depending on its grain rating) should be able to handle just about any steelhead you will hook in California. By manipulating lines you can create a line for a 6 wt that will throw most junk you would want to.

I might agree that a 7 might be a better all around rod for winter fishing but if a combination rod, I would not hesitate to use a 6 wt for winter fishing.

That being said, a 5 wt will handle most steelhead - I am using rods ( an Anglers Roost 12' 2/3 wt and an original Anderson 1204) that throw 250 to 375 grain skagit heads for steelhead on the Klamath and the Grande Ronde