PDA

View Full Version : Truckee -- 30" Brown

Troutsource
08-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Since he never promotes himself here, I'll do it for him. A client of Matt Koles from Gilligan's Guide Service in Truckee (the guy lives right on the river) just landed a 30" brown -- photos to prove it.

Lookie here: http://gilligansguideservice.com/blog/2012/08/21/leviathan/

TroutSource.com (http://www.troutsource.com)
we deliver the river

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-24-2012, 06:56 AM
People usually have to go to New Zealand to catch a Brown trout that big???

The Truckee River is know for large fish.....

JGB
08-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Nice one!

Biggest non-anadromous, non-triploid, non-private water trout caught this(any) year in moving water in CA? State record is 26.5# from Twin Lake.

Isn't there a White River in ARK that puts out fish like that too?

Jeepers creepers that's a big fish, or does he just have small hands? ;-)

JGB

aaron
08-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Word is he had a client get another biggun the next day as well. Matt's a super guide who worries more about fishing than promotion.

Ralph
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Nice one!

Biggest non-anadromous, non-triploid, non-private water trout caught this(any) year in moving water in CA?

JGB

I'm pretty sure the Truckee puts out 30" plus browns just about every year. A 10 year old kid caught a 31" brown at River Ranch while the parents were having a drink at the bar in the middle of the afternoon. A 32" brown was entered into Mt. Hardware's fishing derby that was reportedly caught under the 267 bridge in Truckee. USFWS electrofished a 34 inch pig from the California side and I've seen more than a few 30+ inchers while diving and taped one at 32" in a very non-fishy looking spot that must have a dozen anglers a day walk right past it.

In any regards, Matt's fish is awesome and a MUCH more impressive feat than catching fall spawners who have moved into smaller waters.

craigfalk
08-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Fantastic fish! I can only imagine the difficulty of landing a fish that big. It's very impressive that Robert was able to control that fish and keep it out of the fast water.

Ralph, it's very interesting to hear your accounts of 30" plus fish seen while diving and those caught in high traffic areas. We're lucky to have the opportunity to fish for such remarkable specimens. It reminds me to pay close attention to tying strong knots!

JGB
08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I thought of that guy too.

I am pretty sure I saw a short part of that video on an advertisement on TV? Can't remember the product, but they were showing short/flash clips from a wide range of diverse situations. The ad showed just a 3 sec clip of him holding the fish up for the camera and then it flashed to something else.

JGB

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Matt---Congrats I'm really proud of you producing such a trout for a client.

In any regards, Matt's fish is awesome and a MUCH more impressive feat than catching fall spawners who have moved into smaller waters.

Ralph---Agreed on your above quote. Matt is the man for big fish in this area and he knows where they are. And yes, as others have said he is a very low-key promoter. For sure you too know about these monsters since you have been "swimming with the fish" for years.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Bull_Dog
08-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Matt---Congrats I'm really proud of you producing such a trout for a client.

Ralph---Agreed on your above quote. Matt is the man for big fish in this area and he knows where they are. And yes, as others have said he is a very low-key promoter. For sure you too know about these monsters since you have been "swimming with the fish" for years.

Frank R. Pisciotta

That is an awesome fish Matt!! Congrats.

Sorry though Frank, When giving credit where credit is due, Doug Ouellette is the man for big fish on the Truckee. Doug was catching these fish before any of these guys even had a Nevada fishing license. It is his presence and pictures that have spawed the new crowds on the river.

Ending last year in a 52 week period Doug either caught or had clients catch over 40 fish of at least 24 inches. IN ONE YEAR! He is so far ahead of everyone else that it isnt even a contest.
Still a great fish and a great day on the water for Matt.

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Hey Bull-Dog (Rob Anderson)----I just said "this area" I guess I should have been more specific in saying "this side of the CA/NV border". For sure Doug is the man for big fish on the Truckee...in Nevada.

Yes, Matt has been licensed as a Nevada guide during the last 3-4 years. Prior to, guiding in California, in his low-key promotional way, he has been developing a reputation for large fish...before Doug got licensed as a guide THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER.

They are both superb guides and California natives; who know their waters a lot better than recent "transplants" .

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...I didn't know this was a contest ;-)

Rossflyguy
08-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow! I guess someone is actually counting other peoples fish rather than their own.

Sammy
08-25-2012, 11:01 AM
I catch all the fish. There is no contest

Bull_Dog
08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow! I guess someone is actually counting other peoples fish rather than their own.

Doug documented his fish for a video and some other presentations he has done. Time, place, length of fish etc. We have all caught big fish but if you are talking about the man on the Truckee It is not me, Gilligan, Frank etc.

It is Doug Ouellette. Kind of Like the U.S. basketball team and then everyone else!

Bull_Dog
08-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey Bull-Dog (Rob Anderson)----I just said "this area" I guess I should have been more specific in saying "this side of the CA/NV border". For sure Doug is the man for big fish on the Truckee...in Nevada.

Yes, Matt has been licensed as a Nevada guide during the last 3-4 years. Prior to, guiding in California, in his low-key promotional way, he has been developing a reputation for large fish...before Doug got licensed as a guide THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER.

They are both superb guides and California natives; who know their waters a lot better than recent "transplants" .

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...I didn't know this was a contest ;-)

It is not a contest. But you said the man for big fish in the area. That fish was caught in Nevada not California.

Anyway Matt is a great guide I was just commenting on "the man" part of your post. None of us will be around to argue this point when the next guy gets 40 2 footers in 1 year or even 10 for that matter.

Nothing against Matt and never will be anything against Matt. He is just not "the man"

Oh yeah and Doug has been guiding in California off and on since most of the area guides were in diapers!

Rossflyguy
08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Honestly, who cares Bull Dog. The fish is huge and the biggest I've seen posted all year. Doug is a big boy and can "defend" his own honor for "The MAN" title. I've just seen Matt being promoted more from other people so I'd take your negativity else where. Act your age and not your shoes size.

fishnbeatsworkin
08-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Honestly, who cares Bull Dog. The fish is huge and the biggest I've seen posted all year. Doug is a big boy and can "defend" his own honor for "The MAN" title. I've just seen Matt being promoted more from other people so I'd take your negativity else where. Act your age and not your shoes size.

+1 I agree Rossflyguy

Sounds like someone has a case of sour grapes. Why can't someone have a little success without someone else trying to put them down in a game of one up-manship?

Congrats on a nice fish Matt

Ralph
08-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Rob-

Your post sums up what has gone wrong with the sport more than anything I could think of writing. For a lot of reasons, drop it.

Ralph

Sammy
08-25-2012, 06:53 PM
*backing away slowly from this thread with a questioning look on my face*

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Oh yeah and Doug has been guiding in California off and on since most of the area guides were in diapers!

Rob (Truckee River Outfitters)---Interersting. :-k

I really like Doug, he is a real genlteman, an incredibly competent fly angler and guide. I hold him in the highest regard and he deserves it.

In all honesty, I was never aware that Doug has in the long-past guided in California. I've had a pretty decent idea who the licensed California guides were over the years. To my knowledge the first offically licensed California guide to work this side of the border in the Truckee area was Randy Johnson (1978), Ralph Cutter (1981) and then myself (1984). FYI, my CA F & G resident guide license is #432.

I used to call the CA F & G and check to see who was legally licensed to operate in California; because there was some scamming going on. At those times the CA F & G had a published, printed list of California guides and I'd go through the list looking at the areas annotated where the guides operated; I don't recall seeing Doug's name there.

Can you enlightened me when he was guiding in California?

Frank R. Pisciotta

Dave E.
08-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Rob (Truckee River Outfitters)---Interersting. :-k

FYI, my CA F & G resident guide license is #432.

Frank R. Pisciotta

I dug my old CDF&G Resident Lic's out of the files from that era and the numbers changed from year to year # 228 to # 238, etc. Should those numbers really mean anything to anyone? Doubtful.
Don't see what any of this has to do who caught what - when, and with who. You're all professionals, yes?

Hats off to the angler in the photo, he made the cast, got the drift, set the hook, played the fish to the net and mugged for the photo. Beats the hell out of my biggest fish on the T lately, in Cal or Nev. The anglers got a great shot of a great day.

Best, Dave Ecklund

jbird
08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Gee... I wonder why Matt stays away from forums like this?? :-(

cyama
08-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Just a question... Is the fish posted by Bull Dog caught by Doug a spawner? Lets see hooked jaw, dark orange and dark brown.... When was that fish caught.

jbird
08-26-2012, 04:03 PM
This thread is a bit like a bad car wreck you just cant look away from. Sadly, I had a feeling it would go this way from the word "go". Heaven forbid someone post a picture of a nice fly caught fish in fly fishing forum. Congratulations for an amazing catch. Screw all the haters!

Ralph
08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Screw all the haters!

Nice post JBird.

The knee jerk competitiveness of the fly fishing industry has become as absurd as it has become repugnant. SOME guides, reps, and manufacturers don't miss a beat when it comes to cutting the competition off at the knees or using the moment to elevate their own status.

When Matt was randomly complimented as "The Man" it was a figurative statement. No one in their sober mind would think he was seriously crowned King of the Truckee and bestowed some sort of knighthood. To shout out across the ethers in ALL CAPS that "no, my business partner is the REAL man" suggests a serious lack of self confidence and paranoia that their business might suffer because a competitor could also know how to fish the river. The argument degrades even further when "which side of the river" is brought into play. Do trout give a wit when they swim across state lines?

The lack of decor and tight fisted focus on profits, numbers, and media exposure is the antithesis of why we (most of us) fly fish. As a member of the fly fishing industry and community, I am embarrassed, and profoundly sorry to our consumers for how such a bitchin sport has been turned into a dog-eat-dog experience at the commercial level.

chainsaw510
08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
thank you, Frank and Ralph for keeping it real, and doing it with class. those browns up there are truly amazing! p.s. can I be the man, if I get 3 browns 10".:D :D:D

Yard Sale
08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Wait, them browns don't have to pay out of state fees to come eat Cali fish? There's the problem!

Nice fish. Gotta make it more exciting for everybody just knowing those fish are in there(and prolly bring more business for ALL the area guides).

Mark Kranhold
08-26-2012, 09:53 PM
:thumbsup: JBird, I hear ya. Sounds like a bunch of kids crying over there dinner because they got served Brussel sprouts! :crybaby: Nice fish! Congratulations!!!

CEM
08-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Ralph, I hope you don't mind a newcomer replying to your last post. I don't think the attitude you describe is limited to just fly fishers. I have some good friends that run a husband and wife guide service in Cal, Ore, and Alaska. While at a very large fishing show, they had some old clients show up at their booth, and express surprise that the husband was still alive. Seems one of their competitors at the show had told the clients that Gary had died, and the business was shut down. The other outfitter of course offered to book them with his own company. I think society in general has changed in that people want things right away. Be it money, success, or recognition, instead of doing it the old fashion way by working for it. It's easier and quicker to downgrade someone else, and eliminate the competition.

Chuck

Spicytuna1
08-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Wait, them browns don't have to pay out of state fees to come eat Cali fish? There's the problem!

Nice fish. Gotta make it more exciting for everybody just knowing those fish are in there(and prolly bring more business for ALL the area guides).

Good Call yard,

I know where I am going to g be headed this fall when I got some free fishing time.

Bob G
08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
"Never wrestle with a pig...you both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it."

Rich Morrison
08-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Wait...am I the pig or is it that 30" fish? I'm confused...

lando
08-27-2012, 12:33 PM
What a fish. Congrats.

Jake O
08-27-2012, 02:12 PM
I dont care who is "the man." I follow Matt's blog regularly, and he consistently puts his client on big fish. A buddy of mine even called him up one day to arrange booking a trip with him and although Matt had other previous engagements, he was kind enough to give my friend a number of pointers and places to check out. My buddy ended up having a great day. Matt is a class act.

EricW
08-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Great fish! hopefully many of us will join that club :) (that's my way of praying for a 30" myself :p)

Ralph
08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Ralph, I hope you don't mind a newcomer replying to your last post.
Chuck

I don't mind at all. Your input is appreciated. I see you are from Nevada City, perhaps we can wet a line on the Yuba when we get back from Montana later in the fall.

Don Powell
08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
I thought all the "my genital organ is bigger than yours" comments occurred on the steelhead threads... I feel like a child going to his first communion after following this thread! I promise to visit the trout threads more often!!!
Personally I am just glad that guys, guides as well as fishers, get out there and are interested enough to figure out how to make fish, among them some very large ones take the fly!
Those big Truckee browns look so much like their cousins, Atlantic salmon...
Like I said "Wow!"

Scott V
08-28-2012, 07:27 AM
I thought all the "my genital organ is bigger than yours" comments occurred on the steelhead threads...

My thoughts exactly. Nice job people.

CEM
08-31-2012, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=Ralph;122090]I don't mind at all. Your input is appreciated. I see you are from Nevada City, perhaps we can wet a line on the Yuba when we get back from Montana later in the fall.[/QUO

Thanks Ralph, that sounds nice.
Good luck in Montana. I attended school in Bozeman many moons ago. Between football practice and fishing, I'm afraid I didn't get much studying done. It certainly is a special place.
Chuck

huntindog
08-31-2012, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Ralph;122090]Good luck in Montana. I attended school in Bozeman many moons ago. Between football practice and fishing, I'm afraid I didn't get much studying done. It certainly is a special place.
Chuck

Funny i had these same problems in bozeman...except it was elk rather than football ....the R Bar and the Crystal didnt help

Dan LeCount
09-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Big browns hate me this year.(last year they didnt) Rainbows seem to like me, but this year those damn browns must smell me comin' a mile off. Whatever. I think Im just gonna go carpin instead. They seem to appreciate how I smell. :unibrow:

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I dug my old CDF&G Resident Lic's out of the files from that era and the numbers changed from year to year # 228 to # 238, etc. Should those numbers really mean anything to anyone? Doubtful.
Best, Dave Ecklund

Well, I sort of agree with your "doubtful" statement. My intended implication was that the lower numbers indicate that the guide has been around for a long time; which arguably means or not mean anything. So it is relative whether it "...really mean anything to anyone?"

About the numbers you speak about, during last century, one year to the next, one would receive a number subject to whom paid their annual fees first. Then CA DF & G locked in your number and one had that number forever.

If I recall, you are the fella that worked in the shop with Frank Perazzo at the Ultimate Fly Shop in San Bruno...and would do guide trips/clinics for the shop. Is that correct?

Frank R. Pisciotta