PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!

Ed Wahl
08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I get to post in the Striper Forum!

Took the Black Pearl out of the mothballs for a jaunt this morning on the A.

I got rid of that money pit I bought a couple of years ago. What a mistake that was. You can never throw enough money into an old project boat to make it happy. It just always wants more and more.
So now I'm back to Ole Faithful, my pram. And I'll tell you what, I've missed her. I'd forgotten just how much more intimate a river is when you're in a small(incredibly small) vessel. The battery has been on a charger/maintainer for over a year and is still good as new. I upgraded to a 50lb thrust motor so now I can drain it back down even faster.

I hit the water at dawn and headed to stop 1. Nada. Then the second hole, nada again. I worked it for about 2hrs and was starting to smell skunky. So back to stop 1 for the 'cruise over it and see what you missed' run. I missed a lot apparantly. Spotted several schoolies, some dinks, and a couple of Grand Ole Gals cruising around. I moved on out and drifted back into casting range and managed one of the schoolies. The girls I think new better than to hang around. I cruised around spotting fish to cast at next time out and bagged it around noon.
A pretty good morning in my book.

And here's my schoolie, 4lbs on the fauxe Boga.

Ed

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/Stripers%202012/1ststriperof2012006.jpg

Oh forgot, about 4ft deep, floating line and a #2 8wtCraw. Thanks David.

Darian
08-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Ed,.... Say it ain't so!!! You're no longer a Striper chaser but a Striper drifter (er,... paddler). Oh well....

You sure are right about older boats. I have an older Fisher and it's a constant battle to maintain/upgrade it. I'm gonna give a couple of more years, tho. Just re-powered it. Now, I gotta justify that cost.

BTW, very nice fish ya got there.... :D

jbird
08-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Nice Ed!! I love seein that you got out for some R&R... or R&D... or whatever. Well done sir!

DeepSea
08-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Nice! The ones I caught on Tuesday would have been a light snack for yours.

Did you use a trolling motor on your pram?

Bill

David Lee
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
On a dry line and a Craw ? How cool is that ?!?

D.~

Tony Buzolich
08-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Way to go Ed. In a pram no less! Are you able to motor back upstream very well with an electric?
Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Nice photo Ed.......

mar
08-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Nice pic of a fine striped specimen. Solid wok Ed!

Ed Wahl
08-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys.
55 pounds of screaming water burning thrust!

(You should put in your own monster truck announcer voice there.)

Yes the electric motor gets me upstream, but I have to pick my stretches carefully. So far I've been able to motor up all but the shallowest riffles, and when I encounter them I hop out and pull it up and over by hand.

David it was way cool, still my favorite crawdad pattern.

Ed

Scott V
08-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Glad to see you brought out the Pearl Ed and got fish as well. I've been thinking of taking my pontoon on the river and motoring up as far as I could.

Hatch
08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Excellent effort Ed. But be careful in that rig. The whole river is 5 M.P.H.
$286.00 fine if you get caught speeding.:eek:
HATCH