PDA

View Full Version : carp r tuff

toby
08-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I have been trying to catch carp in a little back water slough and get skunked every time. I have tried, buggers nymphs and surface flies like dragon flies. I used full sinking lines, sink tips and floaters, nonthing seems to work. I see them when they explode on the surface, eating I don't what.
I have yet to try damsel nymphs, tho the water is so murky I do not know how they can see anything. Any advice pleased

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I think that in some places Carp are hard to catch and in other places they are not as hard.

winxp_man
08-21-2012, 09:25 PM
What time of the day are you going for them? If its not morning then I'm almost 100% thats the issue. I know this from fishing for them for a very very long time. As a little kid about 10-11 years of age this was my first my own baiting casting and reeling in the whole fish :)

But from my experience morning are by far the most producing for carp period (this is summer time that is) Now winter it will vary a little.

Also take in consideration as Bill stated place to place could vary and make a difference. But for summer you have to be early in the morning to get them while they feed.

jbird
08-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Ive caugh a bunch in what sounds like similar conditions to what you have. My best success is using a small damsel nymph. The water is so dirty, you have to put the fly less than 6" in front of the sighted fish. Get the fly just past and in front of him and strip it right in front of his nose. Then tease him with it... that may mean stopping it or slowly moving it. Youll have to judge his attitude.
Also theyre very spooky. You can spook them with just your walking vibration. The best thing is to find a spot where you see them cruising thru and stand still and wait.

I have had my best luck during the hottest time of the day... noon-3ish.

Also try a white foam fly with white hackle and white marabou to look like a cottonwood seed.

toby
08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Next outing I will be sure to take some damsel nymphs with me. I do go fishing for them early but I have notice they bust the surface more when the sun breaks up the fog.I always thought that carp were bottom feeders. I have yet to see them finning in the shawolls.I usually just blind cast and hope.when I see there wake from feeding on top I do cast there but I think that puts them down. But I will keep trying, thanks for the advice . Tobs.

Ted S
08-23-2012, 06:58 AM
I fish for carp in the South Platte River, near Denver, and in some ponds near the river. The water in the river is generally really clear and the fish are extremely spooky. I have to cast so the fly lands about 10 feet away from the fish in the river and need to avoid any flash on the fly. The water in the ponds is very murky, visibility only about 6 inches. The only way that I have caught fish in this murky water is to use very flashy flies. I have used bright orange Barry's carp flies, but the best seems to be a yellow or chartreuse crystal chennile egg. Usually I don't see the fish, just mud boils and I cast to the boils.

Good Luck,
Ted