PDA

View Full Version : Single hand tackle for Half-pounder Steelhead

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
This was 30 to 40 years ago.......

For many years I used a 6 weight single hand fly rod for Half-pounders.

The first ones I used were 8'6" fiberglass 2 piece Fenwick 'Feralite' and Berkeley 'Parametric' fly rods.

Popular fly reels where usually the Pflueger 'Medalist' 1495 or Hardy 'Light Weight' in the 'Princess' size.

We used the Cortland 444 SL (long belly) WF6F which had a longer belly and a little stiffer feel than the old Peach 444. It was the standard floating line for Steelheading back in the day.

To get down when the sun was on the water we used a Cortland 444 SL 10' type 3 sinktip line - WF6F/S 10' Type 3.

We made up our own hand tied leaders with the dark stiff Maxima 'Chamelion' mono from Germany and later used Maxima 'Ultra Green' for the tippet piece.

Flies for Half-pounders where the smaller versions of the Silver Hilton, Brindel Bug, Mossback, Burlap, Renegade, Tippet Coachman in size #8/10 to name a few. We also used some caddis wets and dries.

There were not too many waders available back then in the 1960s/70s. Some whore Seal-Dri seamless purelatex stocking foot waders. They cam in two models, the 50 and 100. The 100 was a little more durable. Some glued carpet on the bottom of their jungle boots.

We had either Hodgeman canvas felt soled wading boots or Creative Sports 'Broages' that were leather boots with felt soles.

Some wore boot foot chest waders too. Hodgman, Reball, Greylites.....with flet or carpet glued on the bottom.

We had Kortkers sandlals, chanes, Muncies (aluminum bars) and Dan Bailey's Stream Cleats to put on the bottom of your boots to keep you from slipping on the rocks.

Almost all our Valley rivers have Half-pounder Steelhead in them. Fall, Winter and Spring.......

winxp_man
08-21-2012, 09:19 PM

The first ones I used were 8'6" fiberglass 2 piece Fenwick 'Feralite' and Berkeley 'Parametric' fly rods.

We used the Cortland SL (long belly) WF6F which had a longer belly and a little stiffer feel than the old Peach 444. It was the standard floating line for Steelheading back in the day.

We made up our own hand tied leaders with the dark stiff Maxima 'Chamelion' mono from Germany and later used Maxima 'Ultra Green' for the tippet piece.

Flies for Half-pounders where the smaller versions of the Silver Hilton, Brindel Bug, Mossback, Burlap, Renegade, Tippet Coachman in size #8/10 to name a few.

There were not too many waders available back then in the 1960s/70s. Some whore Seal-Dri seamless purelatex stocking foot waders. They cam in two models, the 50 and 100. The 100 was a little more durable.

The Fenwick Feralite is a great rod! I sold mine though because to was to slow of a actions compared to my Sage or Lamiglas rod. I would say that for their time frame they were very good rods.....

As for the l lines I still use the Maxima series in chameleon line and ultra green. You just cant beat the strength!

Rick J
08-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Aww - Seal Dri waders - I remember them well and not with alot of affection but soon after came neoprenes and the first did not have the inside lining and were a real bitch to get on and off!!!! The good old days.

Still some of my all time favorite rods were the Fenwick gold blanks- very sweet casting rods - I still use my 6 quite a bit!!!

dpentoney
08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
This was 30 to 40 years ago.......

Popular fly reels where usually the Pflueger 'Medalist' 1495 or Hardy 'Light Weight' in the 'Princess' size.

We used the Cortland 444 SL (long belly) WF6F which had a longer belly and a little stiffer feel than the old Peach 444. It was the standard floating line for Steelheading back in the day.

To get down when the sun was on the water we used a Cortland 444 SL 10' type 3 sinktip line - WF6F/S 10' Type 3.

Flies for Half-pounders where the smaller versions of the Silver Hilton, Brindel Bug, Mossback, Burlap, Renegade, Tippet Coachman in size #8/10 to name a few. We also used some caddis wets and dries.

There were not too many waders available back then in the 1960s/70s. Some whore Seal-Dri seamless purelatex stocking foot waders. They cam in two models, the 50 and 100. The 100 was a little more durable. Some glued carpet on the bottom of their jungle boots.

We had either Hodgeman canvas felt soled wading boots or Creative Sports 'Broages' that were leather boots with felt soles.

Some wore boot foot chest waders too. Hodgman, Reball, Greylites.....with flet or carpet glued on the bottom.

We had Kortkers sandlals, chanes, Muncies (aluminum bars) and Dan Bailey's Stream Cleats to put on the bottom of your boots to keep you from slipping on the rocks.

Almost all our Valley rivers have Half-pounder Steelhead in them. Fall, Winter and Spring.......

And that is pretty much exactly how I still do it.....except without the SealDris...Would love to have another pair of SealDri 100s