PDA

View Full Version : June lake loop area

kokaneejr
08-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Going to be in the June lake area in the first week of October. I am guiding my mom on a fall color painting/photography trip. I usually get to find pretty places for her and then wander off and fish. Any ideas as I have only fished here once before on Reversed creek. Will I have to worry about low water this year? Hot creek, Upper Owens? How about the lakes I am staying right near June Lake and should be able to head out for a few hours in the morning.
Thanks and if anybody knows of a good website for fishing reports in the area let me know.
Thanks ...Craig.

Ben Kobrin
08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
http://www.thetroutfly.com/fishreport.html

Updated weekly and I have found them to be very accurate.

WadeK
08-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Can she hike? Easy, Mod, Hard?

The hike to Fern Lake can give some of the most amazing views, but it's a Black Diamond hike. Around 2 miles and about 2K+ ft. Once up there the 7" Brookies at the inlet are numerous, like 27 consecutive fish/cast. There's also the RARE Brookie eating Brown, 1 hitchhiker out of 4 trips.
She may only want to go ~1/3 way up to a look-out that's gorgeous and places you about even with a waterfall I think below Agnew Lake. Not the best angle but still beautiful. Unfortunately it was dry the 1st week of August this year, but it might not be by then.

The much easier hike to Parker has some very pretty spots and reasonably good fishing for Brookies and Browns. ~2.5Mi ~600' (guess)

kylgrn
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Have her setup right across from the silver lake resort on the beach, amazing mountain/lake view with all the fall colors.

betty
08-21-2012, 01:45 PM
in addition to thetroutfly.com, also see

sierradrifters.com for eastern sierra reports.

Also suggest you drive up to Mosquito flat. this is at the end of the road above Tom's Place, past Rock Creek Lake. Road goes into the mountains for 10-15 miles and winds up at 10, 300 ft. You go through all zones of the leaves changing, while driving through a gorgeous canyon. Then, if you hike into Little Lakes Basin (easy, wide, gradual walk that only climbs 400 ft in 4 miles) which passes lake after alpine lake, you will see some really fantastic country. Can't recommend doing this until you have been at altitude for a couple of days, cuz it's pretty high up, but it's the hike I send folks on who have never experienced the sierra backcountry.

Have fun

Betty

Ned Morris
08-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Moderate Hike - Gorgeous Lake - And some Monster Browns and good sized Brookies. Popular spot but still well worth a visit

dickwhite
08-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Either head high into the Ansel Adams Wilderness or low and fish Rush Creek.

The wilderness is classic backcountry. Mostly dry fly fishing. But quite a pull of a hike. There is a packer available at Silver Lake.

Parker Lake and the creek below are fun if you have time for a half day hike. Caught tons of brookies with my daughter there last time.

Rush Creek below Silver lake and now below Grand can be blast. Once you get away from the bait guys near the lake.

Tight lines

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

catch&release
08-23-2012, 12:40 AM
You should do yourself a favor and at least fish Crowley for a day or two. Many large fish up to 24" and very good numbers. You can't go wrong with Crowley.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will help you.

Ernie

kokaneejr
08-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks all,
My mom is in her 70s so long hikes would be out of the question. Parker seems like a good option and I am at least going to drive up to the mosquito flat area. I will definitely be making a stop at Bodie and Mono Lake for photo/painting opportunities. I have never seen Hot creek or the Upper Owens so I may do a drive by just for the future here. Many great suggestions from you guys so I will print this for when I go by myself or with some younger folks:)

Now to decide on a lake to float I am thinking it is a toss up between Silver and Crowley. Silver wins for being close to where I am staying but Crowley wins for a chance at a big fish.

I will keep an eye on the reports.

Dave Neal
08-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Craig-

June Lake area will be beautiful around that time of year. If you've read any of the bad news regarding June Mnt Ski Area closing I'm sure the community will appreciate your visit and a few dollars into the economy this fall season.

As for fall color/painting etc, I agree w/ others the hike towards Parker Lk can be spectacular w/ the aspens around... it's good to have a float tube for fly fishing there. Also follow the dirt road that goes further North and you will find some small holding ponds on both Walker and Parker Creeks that are lined w/ aspen trees. These will hold small brown trout, but even better can make for a very inspiring art session when fall color hits.

Float tubing June Lakes can be a blast - all the lakes are good - for whatever reason I gravitate toward Gull Lake, Silver and the inlet of Grant. The section of Rush between Silver and Grant Lk can be fun! Check w/ the local tackle shops in the June Loop once you actually get in town as they are getting the local reports daily.

As for other local fishing waters nearby - Upper Owens should be very good at that time in October. Cooler weather, hopefully some cleaner water (flood irrigation season for cattle will be finished), and maybe a bump in flows from East Portal tunnel will pull some big browns from Crowley Lake.

Hot Creek will be less weedy as they start dying off and the bwo's should be popping once again.

As for fish reports, honestly, read them like you would a horoscope or a tabloid (I know, I've written fish reports for half my life) HA. the best bet is to go into the local shop once you get into to town and get the info that is most up to date. I agree w/ Ben the Trout Fly/Troutfitter would be a good stop if you come into Mammoth.

Have fun!

kokaneejr
08-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Thinking of hiking to Parker for sure. It looks like a beautiful place for fall. Do I need a tube or can I wade around the edges? It looks pretty small. I may have to carry my mom's easel or painting stuff. I don't want to kill myself if I don't have to.

Ned Morris
08-27-2012, 12:29 PM
But not required. West end of lake where inlet stream bubbles in is best. Also try the meadow below the lake. Challenge not to spook the Browns but there is some decent size to the fish. Enjoy Craig!