PDA

View Full Version : A/R Steelies @ Sailor Bar

Frank Roepke
08-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Kenny, Aaron, Dave and I hit Sailor Bar this morning. Aaron landed this nice adult hatchery Steely on a Brown Birds Nest. Swinging right under the top. Kiene’s got Aaron set up yesterday with a sweet Orvis reel and line for the fall/winter run….He’s stoked!

Frank

winxp_man
08-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice fish for Aaron! Looked like a nice morning for you guys!

Was going to go out yesterday evening but got stuck with work and I might have missed out. I will try tomorrow morning or evening. Thanks for the report....

Mark Kranhold
08-19-2012, 11:49 AM
STOKED!! Looks like the new reel screamed as it lost its virginity to the elusive steel. Congrats Aaron! Here comes the addiction, you might as well forget everything else.:thumbsup:

aaron
08-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Nicely done guys.

Troutsource
08-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Took my 9-year old son down to Sailor Bar on his first "steelhead trip" from about 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. today. While he spent half his time collecting algae ("daddy, do you think I can use it for a sponge?"), I was able to hook a smolt and let him land it (swinging a small brown Fox's Poopah on a floating line). We saw a lot of micromayflies and some caddis, some little guys rising, a bunch of salmon fishermen lined up just above us, lots of birds, a beaver feasting on something (fish? clams?), and lots of tiny frogs inside a cave on the bank. When we left, a woman told us she had seen some rattlesnakes, which I had forgotten to watch out for.

By hardcore fly fishing standards, it wasn't memorable, but by other measures, such as fatherhood and bringing new people into the sport, it was. My son was so excited, and kept asking me if we could return again (to fish, bike, explore). It made me realize again how fortunate we are in the Sacramento area to have this treasure in our backyard (a 12 minute drive for me). I think this is a great time, with the flows nice and low, the weather not too bad, and lots of fish in the river, to take the young 'uns out.

I'm attaching a picture.

Mr T
08-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Well done guys, was out last week hiking and the water looked good.