PDA

View Full Version : Camping or rooms on the Lower Smith River?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2012, 08:23 PM
A friend is going to meet up with some famil & friends on the Smith River this fall and was wondering about places to rent or camp?

Thanks for any help......

Darian
08-18-2012, 09:31 PM
It's been a while since I was up there but camping in Jedediah Smith State Park is available. Located on the North Bank of the Smith just below the forks. If not camping, there's the venerable Ship Ashore resort near the mouth of the river. Upstream from the forks is a lodge (Patrick Creek Lodge) and there're any number of motels, etc. in the Crescent City area. You can, also, cross the border and find some places in Brookings at the mouth of the Chetco River and a campground or two along the way.

Of course, Crescent city has changed a lot since the last time I was up there. The prison created a whole new population explosion up there. :)

ErikB
08-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Myself and friends started the same way at Jediah Smith campground and then went to the ship. Later found Whales head resort up in Brookings and by far the best. You have all the amenities needed and actually comes out cheaper than hotels. Give it a look.

Tight Lines,
Erik

Ned Morris
08-20-2012, 01:47 PM
But I have always had great luck at the Super 8 in Crescent City as close to the beach and Marina (Seafood restaurants) and with rates like $45 a night. Nothing spectacular but do you really need anything more than a clean room with a comfortable after fishing for 10 hours? Safe and never had any problems.

dpentoney
08-20-2012, 04:46 PM
My wife and I have been using VRBO...Vacation Rentals by Owner. We've stayed at three delightful houses along the Smith the last couple of years we got in touch with that way.