PDA

View Full Version : Custom fitting fly lines to two-handed fly rods.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
We are very lucky today to have hundreds of new modern two-handed fly rods, Spey & Switch, to choose from that have fantastic actions at all price points from $249 up.......

We also have dozens of different types of shooting heads or heads to choose from that come now in 25 to 30 grain increments.

On the west coast it has gone about 95% to looped heads with looped running lines.

This allows you to actually choose the type, brand and diameter of running line you like and not having to use the integrated running line that you get on a full line which can be too small or too large or too stiff or too limp. This is one reason it has gone over 90% to heads as far as the real world is concerned.

Even top "long liner" (tournament caster) Doug Duncan, who works for us now, says he likes heads because he can choose the running line he likes.

You have Scandi and Skagit heads with many that are somewhere in between called "tweeners".

After you get a new two-handed fly rod, a reel that balances well with it, some backing and the running line of your choice, you can buy different types of heads for about $50 each to do different jobs for you.

At Kiene's we have full sets of most of the popular heads in 25 or 30 grain increments so you can take several down to the river with tips, leader and fly, by yourself or with one of our staff to see exactly what size fits you and your rod.

This is what is called custom fitting a line to your rod.

No need to chop up line any more now that the top companies like Rio and Airflo have done all the work for us.

Spey guide and instructor Jason Hartwick told me that this past year while teaching in large group Spey classes up on the Trinity and Klamath Rivers he had students arive with two-handed tackle that just was not right. After a short while he would merely let them cast one of his balanced outfits and they improved instantly. It is hard enough to get going in Spey casting and even worse if your tackel is not fitted up right.

Rio and Airflo worked with the top Spey people to design several series of lines (looped heads) so we can choose between these line to throw anything we need to with ease. These new diverse shorter heads are what is drving the popularity of the two-handed sport.

One of the biggest problems with two-handed casting is the fact that many show up with a rod that has the wrong style or wrong weight of line for their rod.

One of our top two-handed mentors, veteran guide and line designers, Mike McCune says that there are not too many bad Spey rods today. He says they just need someone knowledgeable to get the right line and tips on it.

Naturally every fly shop and box store wants to make sales in the Spey area but many don't have the product lines or staff to do it right....

If you don't think your two-handed rod is casting well for you, bring it in and we can get you down to the river and try some lines and get you dialed.

Steelhead are headed up our rivers as we speak.

Rick J
08-19-2012, 08:03 AM
great advice Bill - I was down at the casting pond in Santa Rosa yesterday teaching two guys single handed casting and there was a guy there with a new switch rod and he was struggling - I asked him if I could try the rod and it was really underlined - you just could not feel the rod load - it can be very frustrating for someone starting out - it is great that you have such awesome casters and knowlegeble folks in your shop that can get folks on the right path quickly without the frustration and headaches and cost of buying a bunch of lines.

I would also point out that for folks starting out - pick a style and stick with it until you get fairly proficient - the easiest are skagit and scandi but that is not to say you need to start there - if you like the long or mid lines start there but stick with it - Both Doug and I started in the long line camp - he stayed with it and is now one of the better long line casters out there!!

Idaho steel
08-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Call me one of the five percent I guess :)

I do have a few "head" set ups and they drive me nuts! In the case of the Next Cast fall-favorite 70 heads, I'm willing to tolerate 'em on the grounds that they are the finest fishing lines I've ever used :-({|= As you say though, most folks are buying head systems these days, and I'm sure it doesn't make economic sense for Simon to produce two versions of the same line.--AJ

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I think Simon has had to go to just heads now for the most part.

I mostly prefer to fish the time of year (summer/fall) that I can use mostly a full floating Spey line like a Nextcast "Fall Favorite 45" but if it doesn't come in a full line anymore I will buy a head.

I think full lines are slipping away partly to do with the fact that we are in the worst economic down turn in my lifetime.

Heads doesn't mean "short" lines only.

You can get "heads" from 20 feet to over 80.......

We like to start most new comers out with shorter heads like short Skiis so it is easier to get going and then as they get better they can go to longer lines if need be.

Years ago starting with longer lines (60') eliminated many but the most stuborn who just guts it out till they made through to the other side.

Now with shorter lighter rods and shorter lines people can get some distance and build some skill in a very short time and we won't have as many giving up like they use to.

I know because I tried to get going about 10 years ago and decided I would quit till I retired so i could live down at the American River with the Spey Commandos.....

Don Powell
08-19-2012, 07:34 PM
We have arrived at a very specialized development in fly tackle such that not only is there a best rod for every river but there is a best rod and line for every run/pool...
It is a little bit easier when you fish a river knowing just exactly what to expect with the current flows, weather and fishing pressure.
What a pleasure it is when we are able to figure it all out and score a fish or two...
I remain truly grateful to have learned so much from you and the staff you have employed down through the years fishing local and distant waters...
Technology development has led to so much equipment that we sometimes forget the basic joy of just being outdoors and just figuring it out!
Don

toby
08-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi Rick, I met you Saturday morning at the casting pond when I was walking out with my dog,Toby. Thanks for turning me on to your Anglers Roost rod. I looked them up and would like to try to build one great prices there. Of course I would take it to Kienes to get it outfitted with the wright line from Doug. He was spot on with the Nextcast line for my Beulah he sold me.

Rick J
08-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Bill turned me on to a guy named Buff (Dave Hendrickson) a barber who works just down the road from Kiene's who builds rods part time. I don't have any of my rod building stuff anymore so just had him build it and he did a great job - the components were around $75 as I recall and he charged $100 to build the rod so both my friend Bruce and I had him build us a couple of the 12' 2/3 wts - Can't wait to get it up on the Grande Ronde this fall but it already is a kick on the Klamath!!!

That rod handles the RIO short skagit 275 grain pretty well though Mike MCCune gave me a custom line at 18' and 248 grains that is pretty nice - you can get close to that by cutting back the 275 around 2 feet!