PDA

View Full Version : Hiking into remote Sierra streams

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Here is an email I just got from local guide Bill Carnazzo:

Bill
Yesterday on a lovely small wilderness stream in the Sierra--good water, great setting, nice browns on short line rig. A challenge to hike, but worth it. This evening going back for more... another stream somewhere in the Middle Fork wilderness area.

--

Bill Carnazzo
Spring Creek Guide Service
5209 Crestline Drive
Foresthill CA 95631
(530) 367-5209 (H) (916) 295-9353 (C)
"I fish because I suspect that men are going
along this way for the last time, and I for one
don’t want to waste the trip" Robert Traver, 1964
Web site: www.billcarnazzo.com
Email: bcarnazzo@ftcnet.net

PS: Bill is one of the best hike in small stream guides I know. He lives now in Forrest Hill so he is in a close proximity to the west slope streams between Hwy 80 and Hwy 50.

k9mark
08-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I'd love to fish that area, but the whole Forrest Hill, North and Middle Fork area worries me too much with all the Marijuana Groves and such. It's a never ending battle in the Tahoe National Forest.

Ed Wahl
08-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd love to fish that area, but the whole Forrest Hill, North and Middle Fork area worries me too much with all the Marijuana Groves and such. It's a never ending battle in the Tahoe National Forest.

I agree completely. Stay away. Very dangerous.;)

Bill you've got it about right, Bill Carnazzo is the best I've ever encountered when it comes to the canyons.

Ed

k9mark
08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
I agree completely. Stay away. Very dangerous.;)

Bill you've got it about right, Bill Carnazzo is the best I've ever encountered when it comes to the canyons.

Ed

I know it might be silly to some, but there is a real possibility of stumbling across groves or labs there. Over twenty years on the job given me the experience and insight. Just saying be aware of your surroundings and the real threat of bodily harm or worse that could happen to you out there is all I'm saying. Odds are you may never come across one, but the odds you may are just as equal. Just be cautious.

Scott V
08-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I know it might be silly to some, but there is a real possibility of stumbling across groves or labs there. Over twenty years on the job given me the experience and insight. Just saying be aware of your surroundings and the real threat of bodily harm or worse that could happen to you out there is all I'm saying. Odds are you may never come across one, but the odds you may are just as equal. Just be cautious.

I'm still looking for those groves I keep hearing about. :smoke:

It's a joke in case anyone couldn't figure that out.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
The camp fires up there might be interesting Scott....

k9mark
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
You'll smell them before you see them most of the time so that's when you bug out

EricW
08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Sounds great! Experience definitely of value because I did a little exploration near the Donner summit last weekend without success. Chose one of the bigger looking creeks, looked for springs, etc. Found some beauty but not much water! Luckily no pot farms, lots of no trespassing signs.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4896&stc=1&d=1345652636

Alosa
09-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I just moved to California from an area of the continent where I've never been exposed to these dangers while fly fishing. At the risk of sounding completely naive (but perhaps fortunate that this is a foreign concept to me?), what exactly are we talking about here? Booby traps in the woods? Tweakers ready to kill you and eat your still beating heart? Seriously, I'd like to know precisely what we're talking about here...

NCL
09-02-2012, 05:48 AM
I don't know about the part of "eating your beating heart" but yes to the booby traps and exposure to armed guards on marijuana sights. One of the main needs for any type of cultivation is water so obviously areas near remote streams are attractive to these operations. This time of year the danger is heightened because harvest is near so there is stepped up law enforcement and "rip offs". Just be careful and if you come across irrigation piping, get out of there.

thepeacockspecial
09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
visit kings canyon national park! river is roadside and 10 inch fish will bend your 5 weights like a pig :)

just promoting the waters i grew up in. :)

wineslob
09-14-2012, 12:36 PM
visit kings canyon national park! river is roadside and 10 inch fish will bend your 5 weights like a pig :)

just promoting the waters i grew up in. :)

I still have dreams about the Marble Fork of the Kaweah river......:-D