PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo/Gear Question

El Rey
08-17-2012, 12:37 PM
A friend was sorting through her father's stuff in preparation for moving. She came across his old fishing gear from the 40's and 50's. She asked me to come look and maybe offer advice. Included were the following:

South Bend #323 9 ft. 3 piece bamboo rod with 2 tips and the original metal tube. Marked for HDH or D line. How does D translate to modern line size? Found a similar rod on Ebay with offers around $100. Not really interested in selling, but just curious if it's worth much. I know that South Bend mass produces gear, so it's probably not anything special. Rod was built in the 1940's.

Also, a Betts Fishing Tackle #295 rod. 6 1/2 ft 2 piece spinning or casting rod. Probably fiberglass painted to look like bamboo. It's in poor condition. Never heard of Betts. Google says Betts was originally in Detroit, but there is now a Betts in Florida. Not much more info.

The 2 automatic reels are dinosaurs in extremely poor condition. No ID markings.

2 leather pouches with assorted flies, mostly unidentifiable and a little ragged.

I hate to recommend pitching any of this if there's any chance they're valuable.

Would appreciate any opinions or advice.

Thanks in advance,
Harlan

Darian
08-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm not much help in answering your question but a search of the archives showed the following link:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24601&highlight=Bamboo+Rods

This outfit is in the bay area and probably answer your questions about value.... :)

Rich Morrison
08-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Your summary of the value of the South Bend is accurate. They were mass produced and are not particularly valuable - particualrly at 9'. The 8.5' 323 rods a much more popular. The modern equivalent for the HDH is a DT6 and D is a level (no taper) 6wt. Level lines are few and far between these days. I'm sure that rod would cast either a modern 5 or 6wt nicely.

El Rey
08-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. Pretty much confirms what I suspected.

Harlan