PDA

View Full Version : Anybody still shooting film?

cdm
08-16-2012, 11:16 PM
If so, do you have some favorite processors, via mail or local?

Im going to go old school and shoot some rolls thru the old Pentax K1000 just for old times sake.

Cmcculloch
08-16-2012, 11:44 PM
I still like Fotomat. Drop it off and pick it up as quick as two days later. Look for the their yellow kiosks in a nearby parking lot.

Darian
08-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I still have about a half dozen rolls of 35mm film in the refrigerator that I need to shoot up, then retire the camera. I plan on shooting it up and taking it to my local camera shop but I'm having it developed/converted to a DVD. Lots easier on the storage.

The shop I'm using is on "J" around 22nd in mid-town (can't recall the name offhand):D

Cmcculloch
08-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Ritz Camera is on J near 22nd.

Amador
11-01-2012, 07:43 AM
It depends on what kind of film and what kind of format. I shoot 4x5 transparency and send my film to North Coast in San Diego. They do great work. If you are shooting 35mm negative film, most any photography lab will do. With that said, I would stay away from the 1hr proccessing types.

Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-01-2012, 08:50 AM
I would check with Pardee's Cameras in Sacramento on El Camino Avenue.

http://pardeescameras.com/

You can check with Ferrari Color to.

http://www.ferraricolor.com/

They might have answers...

FRSam
11-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Bill...why the film...feeling a bit nostalgic...I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my thousands of slides. I'm pretty sure most of the photo shops allow you to burn the images to a CD as well.

Pete

Darian
11-02-2012, 04:26 PM
FRSam,.... If you're not already aware of it, some combo printer/scanners can scan your slides and burn to a DVD. The only problem seems to be the price of purchasing the appropriate scanner....

FRSam
11-02-2012, 04:59 PM
FRSam,.... If you're not already aware of it, some combo printer/scanners can scan your slides and burn to a DVD. The only problem seems to be the price of purchasing the appropriate scanner....

Thanks Darian...yes I've looked into them and the better ones are a bit pricey and still only allow you to do about six slides at a time...that's a lot of time at the scanner. I think what I might do is go with a service, they're really pretty reasonable and do a good job from what I've heard. The problem is going through all the boxes, deciding what you want and then organizing them for shipment. On top of what I have which is abundant I've also got a ton from my father who passed away. It's been real easy to keep this on the back burner...I may just keep the slides.

Pete

Cmcculloch
11-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I've had an HP Scanner "Scanjet G4050" for a couple of years. It scans 16 slides or 30 negetives each pass. This model is still available and about $175 online from HP.COM . You are correct that the most amount of time is going through your slides and organizing them. The services can't do that for you.

My dad did this with a large collection of family slides he had and put them on a VHS tape. So another project of mine will be to convert this to a DVD. I bet my brother and sister and our kids would like to see these again. He shot several in the vertical mode and the slide service still made them horizontal with several cut off heads and other parts. Only 1 or 2 came out sideways.

Craig

DLJeff
11-25-2012, 05:40 PM
My Mom and I converted a big box of slides my Dad had taken into a family history cd. The slides will deteriorate over time so converting to cd is a good way to save them. We put together a set of 88 slides that took us from Dad in the Seabees in Korea through them getting married, finishing his degree, having my brothers and I, included photos with grandparents, etc. The cd's cost is $80 for the first one and $12 for each copy. Did it at Wolff Camera.