PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on first fly fishing trip

DeepSea
08-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi all,

Been lurking on this board for a few years. I've purchased several setups from Bill's shop over the years and truly enjoy the professionalism and courtesy of his staff. I've been on a striper trip with Andy a couple years ago and have another one scheduled for next week.

Anyhow, I've been drooling at the prospect of going on an "exotic" trip. The problem is I can't decide. Should I go to Caicos or Andros for bonefish, the Amazon for peacock bass, Tarpon Cay Lodge, El Saito for bass, etc?

Any thoughts or suggestions for a newbie at this foreign stuff?

Thanks!

Bill

Darian
08-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Your ideas are all good. I'd like to suggest a trip to the Sea of Cortez (Baja). Whether to Loreto in mid-summer or to La Ventana in late spring or fall, you'll have a shot at some exciting fishing on the fly in saltwater. Different fish species. Maybe less costly than trips to the Carribean. Staying around the East Cape or La Paz is enjoyable, good food. Friendly, helpful people. Check out the links below:

http://www.bajaflyfishingadventures.com/Baja_Fly_Fishing_Adventures/HOME.html (This is the website for Jay Murakoshi. I've been on many trips to the La Ventana area with Jay and never had a bad one. Good value, too.)

http://www.bajabigfish.com/ (This website is for Loreto, Baja. Pam Bolles is the proprietor. Another good value. I've never fished at Loreto but from reports I've read it can really be good for a variety of species.)

http://www.garybulla.com/ (This is a very good value trip that fishes the La Ventana area, also. However, Gary doesn't stay in La Paz opting to stay in the remote town of La Ventana. This outfitter also offers Kayak fishing trips to Magdellena Bay on the Pacific side of the Baja Peninsula. Lots of interesting fishing for bay species (including some Bonefish.)

This is by no means a comprehensive listing. If you don't mind a trip using conventional gear, try: http://tailhunter-International.com

Good luck.... :D

steelheadsicko
08-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Peacocks hands down. If you want to experience adventure and catch a hard fighting fish you can't beat this. It it is the most expensive of the options.
And if money is not part of the equation have you ever looked into Golden Dorado?

DeepSea
08-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Peacocks hands down. If you want to experience adventure and catch a hard fighting fish you can't beat this. It it is the most expensive of the options.
And if money is not part of the equation have you ever looked into Golden Dorado?

I haven't looked at Golden Dorado. There are so many choices! Peacock sounds like a fantastic trip. I was looking at the trip hosted by Keith Kaneko. Has anyone gone on one of these trips?

aaron
08-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Keith is very professional, you're in good hands. If you can cast then a saltwater trip is a good intro into travel/adventure fishing. Caicos is a good beginning trip as usually a lot of bonefish are caught and you'll learn to spot schools.

Tarpon Cay is also a good first trip, the fishing is challenging but rewarding (again as long as you can double haul in some wind) and you have a chance at some big fish, and babies are as much fun as you can have. At $2800 the price is certainly right too. I know Keith has a group going down and I have one as well next summer.

Goldens and Peacocks would be fun if you can swing the funds.

Consult with Keith and he'll get you dialed.

mems
08-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Aloha Bill, I think it all depends on what type of fishing you want to do. If you want to fish from a boat and like big fish, then baja is a good choice. If you want to get a sail, then panama would be a good destination. If you want tarpon, then Keith can set you up. If you want to wade flats, then I would go to the bahamas and try bonefishing. I am going back to x-mass island in april next year. You can wade the flats or fish from a boat for trevally, tuna etc. On the way you can try and get one of the big bones in Honolulu. There are many different choices. I know Lefty and Rick Pope from TFO are headed down for some peacock action in Brazil, that would be a fun trip. Word of warning, once you get the taste of salt then your fishing world will change significantly. Wherever you go have fun and be stoked when you get a nice fish, Mems.

DeepSea
08-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Aloha Bill, I think it all depends on what type of fishing you want to do. If you want to fish from a boat and like big fish, then baja is a good choice. If you want to get a sail, then panama would be a good destination. If you want tarpon, then Keith can set you up. If you want to wade flats, then I would go to the bahamas and try bonefishing. I am going back to x-mass island in april next year. You can wade the flats or fish from a boat for trevally, tuna etc. On the way you can try and get one of the big bones in Honolulu. There are many different choices. I know Lefty and Rick Pope from TFO are headed down for some peacock action in Brazil, that would be a fun trip. Word of warning, once you get the taste of salt then your fishing world will change significantly. Wherever you go have fun and be stoked when you get a nice fish, Mems.

Aloha Mems,

I took my wife and daughters to Kauai a couple of weeks ago and was just dying to fish. I'm bringing a rod next time!

Can you let me know what tour agency you use for the Christmas Island trip? Sounds like the best of all worlds.

Thanks.

Bill

Keith Kaneko
08-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi Bill,

I just got back from Alaska West, where I was hosting a group for Silver Salmon and jumbo Rainbows. Some of the finest AK fishing I have ever experienced. I would include this in your list of possible destinations too.

Anyway, I please feel free to give me a call (or I can call you) and we can discuss the many options available to you. It really comes down to what YOU really have the desire to do. Everyone has their favorites based on their experiences, and I can certainly give you an extensive description of the many possible options.

Thanks for your post and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Regards,
Keith

Mike O
08-25-2012, 09:57 PM
If I had money to make one trip in my life it would be Alaska Float trip or Kamchatka.

DeepSea
08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Hi Bill,

I just got back from Alaska West, where I was hosting a group for Silver Salmon and jumbo Rainbows. Some of the finest AK fishing I have ever experienced. I would include this in your list of possible destinations too.

Anyway, I please feel free to give me a call (or I can call you) and we can discuss the many options available to you. It really comes down to what YOU really have the desire to do. Everyone has their favorites based on their experiences, and I can certainly give you an extensive description of the many possible options.

Thanks for your post and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Regards,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I'll give you a call next week. I'm really starting to think the trip I'm going to go on is a peacock trip. I was on your site and noticed that you use two different operators, River Platt and Anglers Inn. Do they fish different areas?

Is there a best time of year to go?

Thanks.

Bill