PDA

View Full Version : Loomis warranty issues

GoldenStone
08-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Does anyone know about Loomis' warranty? Has it changed since Shimano took over?

Originally i thought their lifetime warranty was No Question Asked Replacements. Now, they deny that guarantee ever existed. Now it seems, unless manufacturers' error, or a rod is broke on a fish, you have to pay to get it fixed.

Anyone have problems with Loomis?

Chet Troutpuncher
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Some of the cork on my Trilogy (about 10 years old) came off last summer when I was fishing the E. Fork of the Bitterroot. It was still fishable so I didn't send it back until this summer. I paid to ship it back with insurance. Not cheap. I was told after a few weeks that they couldn't repair it but I could buy a new rod at wholesale. I made a few more phone calls and they eventually sent me a new rod for not much. I think it was around $40.

I was expecting a hassle like you're experiencing but being persistent paid off.
Don't know how your rod broke (user error or defect in workmanship, etc.) but if it was legit, don't let it go. Maybe they'll kick down...

joshfish
08-15-2012, 01:53 PM
A customer of mine just went through the same thing. He tripped and fell and broke his glx 6 wt. he sent it back for repair expecting to pay a fee but was shocked when they told him it would be $300 to repair it.

winxp_man
08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
My brother had called them a couple of month ago to talk about the warranty. This is for the conventional side not the fly fishing side. I dont know if there warranty might be different.

So the person on the phone told him that that to replace the rod straight up was $100.
To get it repaired they would have to look at the rod then basically give you a estimate which I guess some times its not worth to deal with it.

My brother has one that he plans on turning in for a new one. So they told him that they would give him the same model for $100.

This is what he told me when he got in touch with GLoomis. Hope this helps.

P.S. might want to give them a call to get more details.

amoeba
08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Some of the cork on my Trilogy (about 10 years old) came off last summer when I was fishing the E. Fork of the Bitterroot. It was still fishable so I didn't send it back until this summer. I paid to ship it back with insurance. Not cheap. I was told after a few weeks that they couldn't repair it but I could buy a new rod at wholesale. I made a few more phone calls and they eventually sent me a new rod for not much. I think it was around $40.

I was expecting a hassle like you're experiencing but being persistent paid off.
Don't know how your rod broke (user error or defect in workmanship, etc.) but if it was legit, don't let it go. Maybe they'll kick down...

what's the defect in workmanship and materials? (10 years of use, rod still usable, loses "some cork"); permit me pause to wonder if that might be normal wear and tear and not covered by Loomis' warranty.

cyama
08-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Read the warranty you are getting!! As mentioned above Gary Loomis sold the company to Shimano... If your dog eats your sage or scott fly rod you can send back the pieces and only pay 50-60 bucks. Even if you run over your rod or snap it on an electric window they will fix it.

If you read this article Gary only sold the company because he had cancer and was told he only had a few months to live..
He tried to build more rods and was sued by Shimano. Gary has spent time and money to save the salmon.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewinterviewgaryloomispart2.html

winxp_man
08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
This is one reason I got all my stuff sage and redington now :)

Not to long ago I sent in a 10 year old redington RS2 3/4 reel and today I got a new upgraded redington rise 3/4 reel! Gotta love that good warranty.....

Oh and I think Loomis company was sold back in 97 if I'm remembering right.

Darian
08-15-2012, 11:02 PM
The warranty for Loomis rods in affect 10 years ago has, apparently, changed and the terms of the new warranty may not be what is expected, now. Time and companies change (Shimano buys Loomis). The way they do business changes (e.g. warranties).

The option here would appear to be to take advantage of the provisions of the new warranty or to object and hope the new owners take pity and repair or replace the rod for a fee. I don't see anyone suing to enforce a warranty that changed many years ago. It's not probable that Loomis will agree to replacement of the rod without charging a fee.

Short of any of those choices, why not buy a newer rod while on sale at Kiene's or the shop or your choice and go fishing. Saves money, stress and you get a new rod of your choice. :D

winxp_man
08-15-2012, 11:48 PM
The warranty for Loomis rods in affect 10 years ago has, apparently, changed and the terms of the new warranty may not be what is expected, now. Time and companies change (Shimano buys Loomis). The way they do business changes (e.g. warranties).

The option here would appear to be to take advantage of the provisions of the new warranty or to object and hope the new owners take pity and repair or replace the rod for a fee. I don't see anyone suing to enforce a warranty that changed many years ago. It's not probable that Loomis will agree to replacement of the rod without charging a fee.

Short of any of those choices, why not buy a newer rod while on sale at Kiene's or the shop or your choice and go fishing. Saves money, stress and you get a new rod of your choice. :D

I did that :D got a Sage 10wt for a real good deal (thanks to Andy and Tim at Kiene's shop) I went out today but my shooting head was only a type three and the water on the feather is still a little high for a type 3 Shooting head. This after noon I got a type 6.

But all in all I would keep at it with loomis and see what the fee is if you haven't got a answer yet. Maybe it will not be that bad at all.

I have a Lamiglas 10 wt that I recently got back and they charged me 55 bucks to get it fixed. So all companies are charging differently compared to what they did in the past. Times are changing I guess.

Get back to us when you get an answer I'm curious if there is a difference from what my brother was told from the conventional side of the gear compared to the fly fishing side.

GoldenStone
08-15-2012, 11:57 PM
This is a hassle. No more Loomis for me.

goby
08-16-2012, 07:32 AM
I love Orvis. I have 3 of their rods, but my 4 wt has been jinxed. I've sent it back 3 times, including one time when I lost a tip. Every time the damage has been 100% my fault, and every time they have replaced it for $30.00.

BTW, how the heck do warranties change? They can't change. But if I recall Loomis didn't have the same type of warranty as Orvis. That is one reason why I never bought a Loomis rod. I know I'm clumsy, and know I'm going to damage a rod. So I only buy rods with great warranties and customer service, like Orvis.

Darian
08-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Hmmm,.... Not trying to cause an argument here, Goby, but Shimano apparently already has changed the Loomis warranty. Other companies have done the same over time whether they should or shouldn't is the real question.

In some instances, like GoldenStone's, that change has caused a loss of a customer and the possible loss of future potential business/customers. That's a choice/risk that Shimano has made. That choice is probably based on their business model and remaining competitive in the market.

So, unless you're willing to be persistent, take legal action to enforce prior warranty provisions (a dicey, expensive proposition) or threaten to use a publicity tactic, you'll have to hope that a company will agree to help you.

in most cases it's easier to just pay a relatively small fee for repairs or buy a new rod.

Chet Troutpuncher
08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
what's the defect in workmanship and materials? (10 years of use, rod still usable, loses "some cork"); permit me pause to wonder if that might be normal wear and tear and not covered by Loomis' warranty.

I also wondered if it was normal wear and tear but I decided I would send it back anyway to see what they would say. When they offered me a brand new rod for small change I wasn't going to argue with them.

GoldenStone
08-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Here's a quick chronicle of my Loomis experience. Over 12 years ago i was given a present of a $200+ Loomis. After a couple years I broke it and they told me "no questions asked" I could replace at no charge, replace it with a similar or cheaper rod, or upgrade and pay the difference. So I upgraded. I continued to break my rod a couple more times and thus upgraded until my current $625 Streamdance. Last fall I broke my rod, but this time i had to pay $300! They, now owned by Shimano, said Loomis never had that warranty. THIS GETS ME VERY UPSET. Well, a freak accident, and the rod broke again and just recently they fixed only the broken tip, and charged 'only' $120. Oh well.
And yes, i have to take better care of my rods!

winxp_man
08-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Here's a quick chronicle of my Loomis experience. Over 12 years ago i was given a present of a $200+ Loomis. After a couple years I broke it and they told me "no questions asked" I could replace at no charge, replace it with a similar or cheaper rod, or upgrade and pay the difference. So I upgraded. I continued to break my rod a couple more times and thus upgraded until my current $625 Streamdance. Last fall I broke my rod, but this time i had to pay $300! They, now owned by Shimano, said Loomis never had that warranty. THIS GETS ME VERY UPSET. Well, a freak accident, and the rod broke again and just recently they fixed only the broken tip, and charged 'only' $120. Oh well.
And yes, i have to take better care of my rods!

Have you asked to see if they will just straight out replace it? Like I said when my brother called them they said that a straight out replacement will be 100 bucks a lot cheaper then getting that rod repaired.

GoldenStone
08-17-2012, 06:10 AM
Yes. That's when Shimano charged $300. But I told them it was my fault. Funny thing though, the warranty guy on the phone was explaining how to make a claim. And I swear he was trying to hint to me to claim the rod was broken on a fish. I did and was charged the $120. Thx.

Big Al
09-01-2012, 06:07 PM
G.Loomis Xpeditor: a paid service that allows you to replace a broken rod expediently and without question. Just call them at phone 1-877-577-0600 and request Xpedite Service: Apron receiving your request, G.Loomis will immediately ship a replacement rod via standard ground delivery When you receive your new rod, remove it from the shipping tube, place the broken rod into that same tube and affix the enclosed (pre-paid) shipping label on the outside of the tube. The cost: $100.00 U.S. & $125.00 CAD (Per Rod) for standard ground delivery (Master card or Visa only) I have used it and it is painless