PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Bag

Tony Buzolich
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Today was really a good day considering the time of year. I took out two brothers from Chico, Rob and Gordon Ginno. What a couple of nice guys. Both could cast well and entered the trip knowing this isn't the prime time to be chasing stripers. But, they wanted to learn a little more about the river and how I go about finding fish.

We got on the water quite early and still very dark. (Have you noticed the days are getting shorter?) We started working the first rock wall much closer than they had expected. I explained that the stripers crowd the bank to stay out of the main currant and at the same time they can coral bait up against the rocks. " Cast close and strip right away" so as to not snag up. Then a couple of quick short strips and pause. Let it drop and walk your way deeper like going down a staircase". After a couple of casts Rob hooks up right away with a nice schoolie. :) Away to go. We've only been on the water about five minutes.

As we drift downstream we move from wall to wall looking for small eddys or bends in the river's edge all of which may hold fish waiting to grab passing bait. Rob hooks up again and the fish takes off around and under the boat. Another nice schoolie. A few more grabs and misses. We drift onto another wall and on the next cast the water explodes two feet from shore and a chrome bright salmon comes flying out of the water. Rob's hooked up again and this one's taking line like crazy. We get the salmon back to the boat and as I touch the fish with the net he bolts and pops the line. Oh well, and a little brotherly teasing and on we go. Back and forth across the river we drift and several more fish come to the boat. I am amazed by the number of stripers still in the river. It's not uncommon to find a few bigger fish this time of year but this is unusual. Perhaps the higher water flows for the paste month have helped keep the fish around or even brought some new fish in?

If you're anxious to get out for a few striper,,, get out there. The delta will start happening soon but for now they're in your backyard.
Tony

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/003.jpg

winxp_man
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I never really fished the Sac delta for stripers but use to troll for stripers in the bay and sometimes even past the golden gate really fun stuff :D

I would put on a hair riser and troll slow or go really really slow and jig up and down. They could not resist the hair risers!

I wish I would have had my 8wt setup earlier so I could have gotten the striper action this year. I guess there are still a few locals here and there.

Nice post Tony and thanks for sharing :)

Darian
08-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Aron,.... You need to spend some time with Tony, Andy Guibord or the other guys like Hatch. They can put you on Stripers in the valley rivers and/or the delta for black Bass/Stripers, right now....

Time to get out there. In about another week, I'll be cleared from the tower (doctors) to get out there, too. Can't wait.... :D