PDA

View Full Version : Place near Tahoe for kids?

JohnD
08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
My brother and his family will be up visiting next weekend and he's wondering if there's any place we can take the kids for some easy fishing. We'll be up in north Tahoe and the kids range from 5-9 years old.
I can't think of anything that's a can't miss. Maybe fishing for pan fish in Tahoe Keys?

Sammy
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I believe there is a pay to play lake up in that side of the Tahoe. Someone on this board would know. If it's in your budget might be worth a look.

Dave E.
08-14-2012, 01:50 PM
It's just for kids.

http://tahoesouth.com/blog/2012/6/4/sawmill_pond_the_perfect_place_to_take_kids_fishin g_in_tahoe

Dave

JohnD
08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that.

dickwhite
08-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Besides the kids pond in South Lake, the Tiechert pond near Donner St. Park was just stocked for the kids fishing derby 2 wks ago. I'm not sure if there are any fish left. Talk to the guys at Mtn Hardware.

The West Carson at Hope Valley gets loads of stockers with easy access for kids.

There are also some small streams that the kids might enjoy.

pm me if you have any other questions.

Dick White
Tahoma CA.

EricW
08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Down off the east side into NV, if that counts. There are a couple places. NV is free under 12.

Easy for young kids would be Marlyn's Pond at Galena Creek on Mt Rose highway or the pond at Davis Creek campground in Washoe Valley. They're tiny and allow bait, but success depends on stocking. Wilson Common, also in Washoe Valley, might work too, but is kind of a hole.

If older kids and you're willing for a hike, Hobart Reservoir above Carson City is nice once you get past the dust. Artificial and barbless, not C&R. It seems to get stocked with a random collection and has lots of resident brookies. The hike keeps it feeling pretty authentic. I haven't been in a couple years and have read the trailhead has changed. Used to be less than an hour walk.

JohnD
08-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks, I'll stop in Mtn Hardware on the way up and ask about the pond. Would be a lot closer as our place is in Tahoe City.