PDA

View Full Version : Using Pink for Stripers?

Tony
08-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Is that done anywhere in California? Down here some people swear by it. I have never used it but I am in year 2 of Striper fishing. The selection looks very limited for pink flies that will be Striper type flies.

Any thoughts?

Darian
08-11-2012, 08:49 PM
There are some patterns used for Stripers out here that incorporate pink in their construction. I believe I've seen pink over white in Clousers and another pattern that Dan Blanton designed is the SST Flashtail Whistler. Check out the link:

http://www.danblanton.com/blog/category/hot-flies/dans-sps-flashtail-whistler/

One of the hot color combo out here seems to be Chartruese, white with some blue Crystal Flash as a topping. Rainbow Trout colors are big in the rivers around here. Many Clouser patterns. Actually, I've seen any number of color combos on Clousers. There're plenty of top water patterns as well.... :D

Tony Buzolich
08-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Darian,

I just did a search right here on our own board and there's all kinds of stuff about using pink and white for stripers. I remember having several great days in the delta using pink and elsewhere too.

But, if you're new to fishin' stripers, and if you only had one fly, in one color, it would have to be chartruese over white.

There have been days when chartruese didn't seem to work and we'd put something else on. Try this, try that, try something. Change to pink, change to purple, try anything. Sometimes nothing seems to work. And then you'd get a grab on some off-colored thing you tied on and think this has to be it! This is the color they want! And maybe it works for a while. But when the day starts all over again, I always start with chartruese over white.

Good luck on getting started with stripers Tony. After a few you'll be one of the striper addicts like a lot of the rest of us here on Bill's board.
Tony

Mr T
08-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I've tied a bunch of flies using pink in them but have not had a chance to use them much this year.

Seems a good color tho'

Ryan
08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
For myself personally I like to fish the brighter flies like chartreuse or pink in the early morning and evenings, while I fish more natural darker colored flies during the heat of the day. However if I'm fishing the delta or Napa river where the water is pretty murky, I'll use chartreuse all day long. This year was the first year I used pink closers on the American and they seem to be a good all around color for mornings and evenings. I had about three days or so where the majority of our fish were caught on pink closers. Definitely a color to have stocked in your box in my opinion.