PDA

View Full Version : Sage z-axis vs Hardy zenith in 5wt

luckydude
08-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I just got back from a trip down the flathead, I took the Hardy because the Sage was busted.

I fished the Hardy a bunch but also fished a different Sage, a Vantage 3wt 8.5 foot.

When I got home, the Z-axis was waiting for me so I took it out to the pasture to cast it.

Short summary: it's underlined, the 5wt should be fished with a 6wt line (and there is a guy here that I have to look up that told me that, he was absolutely right.).

Longer summary is that with the Hardy, while it is a fast rod, it has a soft tip and whatever it has, it communicates back to you where the line is. At short, mid, and long line lengths. But the Z-axis is so stiff, you really don't feel anything until you have 45-50 feet of line out.

On the other hand, if you are willing to give up on the feedback, what I found is that the Z-axis loved making nice tight loops for me if I did my part. Which was paying way more attention to what was going on and looking back so I could time things properly.

The Hardy is pretty special in that whether you are short or long, the rod tells you when it is time to do your forward cast, you just feel it in your hand, it's pretty amazing. I've described it as the rod and the line are one thing, they just flow together, it's really neat.

The Hardy also feels lighter to swing, the Z-axis feels like you have to work. But if you do, wow, it punches the line. If I were casting into headwinds, Z-axis all the way. If not, Hardy. That Hardy is a pretty sweet rod.

I'd like to hear what other people think, I've heard that Sage One is so-so, heard that Helios 2 is fantastic, I dunno. I'll be keeping both those 5wts, good rods. Either one is dramatically better than what I could buy 20 years ago and both are fun to fish.

590Mike
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I have both rods myself in 6wt and a 7wt 9'6" Z-axis and you're right the Sage does seem to throw a tighter loop. I have noticed better results with the Hardy after I've been fishing it a while. The Z-axis seems a little forgiving for my imitation of fly casting.
It's been mentioned that a line with a 1/2 wt heavier is what the Zenith needs, but I am also thinking of ordering a Hardy brand line to try and match it up. I fished the Swift Mk II a couple years ago with the my Rio nymph line and a Hardy matched line and there was a noticeable difference.

luckydude
08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
I wasn't trying to dis the Hardy (or the Sage for that matter); for my style of casting, I like the Hardy better, it is "easier" to cast, feels lighter in your hand, feels like less work. I get a lot more feedback from the Hardy, the only way I know to describe it is that the Hardy and the line feel like one continuous thing; it's really easy to feel where your backcast is.

The Sage will give me tighter loops but I have to work harder. I'd prefer that rod when fighting a head wind.

Of the two, I see myself going for the Hardy more.

I'd love to see what a Hardy fishes like in a 3wt in 8 foot or 8.5 feet. I love the crap out of my Sage Vantage 3wt in 7 foot but the same model in 8.5 feet gets too soft for me. Not bad but I'm still looking for that elusive perfect 3wt.