PDA

View Full Version : August - beat the Valley summer heat.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Head west for the cool Pacific coast:

Wade the surf for Surf Perch or Stripers

Fish in a boat for rock fish, halibut, salmon or even albacore.

Do some clamming and crabbing.....

Head east up into the Sierras over 5,000 feet to get cool:

Lots of higher elevation streams and lakes are good now for trout.

It is nice to get out of the Valley in mid-summer to not only get cool but to get into better air quality.

Jeff C.
08-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Wish I could get out of town but I'm stuck here because of work (on-call for 2 weeks). If it wasn't for that I'd be up at 8000 ft. Been fishing the lower sections of the American and have only caught steelhead smolts, squawfish and a small striper.

Scott V
08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
If it wasn't for that I'd be up at 8000 ft.

I wonder where that would be?;)

Jed Peters
08-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I'll be down in the frigid waters of the lower yuba this sunday.

Hope the hot weather stimulates the hopper bite. I understand it's been waning a bit?

Water temps are still low as the water flows from the bottom of the Englebright dam....I wonder how I'll be able to go swimmin' with waders on? LOL

Darian
08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Not sure that I would do any clamming during August. As I recall there's an old caution that says you shouldn't dig calms during any month without an "R" in it's spelling. I would expand that to any include period of time that has any form of red tide in it. Marine bi-valves are filter feeders, for the most part, and tend to concentrate any toxins from their food in their tissues. So, winter months are better for clamming....

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to eat commercially farmed shellfish. Some very good mussles/oysters coming out the area in/around Tomales Bay. :D

JAWallace
08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
I was at just over 10,000 last week and the surface WT was still 71 at 8 pm. Small lake. Crowley was 80 in spots.