PDA

View Full Version : salmon below sacramentro

andbob1
08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Has anyone tried salmon fishing the sac around walnut grove with a fly, I have not seen any post on this. I was just wondering if drifting a fly ind the current might work using a sinking line or intermediat line.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2012, 11:48 PM
People catch salmon accidently as they come through the Delta headed up stream to spawn while fly fishing for Stripers with fast sinking lines and Clouser Minnows.

Darian
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
In all of the years that I've fished around here, I've never heard of anyone targeting Salmon below the mouth of the American River with flies. Doesn't mean it can't be done but it's highly unlikely to be a productive activity. You'd need a large fly that pushes a lot of water and maybe something to "juice it up", too. The water in the area of the river you're looking at isn't very clear. Then there's the issue of running into the boats and line-ups that're anchored and not overly friendly to those who might drift through.

my advice, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." :D

andbob1
08-08-2012, 07:19 PM
it was just a thought, I know a lot of people troll with spinners and also fish them from anchored boats down river so i thought maybe I could put my 8wt to use, I know its a tad light for salmon but not impossible. It's a little easier for me to hit the river in that area then to head farther north to the usual fly fishing areas. Thanks for the responce guys, sounds like I need to go after stripers and maybe catch a salmon by mistake.

Darian
08-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Now you're talking.... BTW, aren't there any Salmon in the Mokelumne River??? If there are some, that might be closer to home for you.... :confused:

Tony Buzolich
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM
After my dad retired he went to work for DFG part-time checking salmon at the Woodbridge station on the Mokelumne. I remember there being good numbers of salmon there when I was a kid (50+ yrs. ago) :)

If regulations permit it you might try launching at New Hope and then motoring on up toward the ladder and dam.

If you're throwing chartruese clousers you have the chance of hooking anything from a salmon to steelhead or maybe even a striper. Here's a couple that ate clousers.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/tonyssalmon.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/IMG_0192email.jpg

Because the water clarity isn't that great down in that area, use something with a lot of flash and maybe you'll get lucky.

Good luck, Tony

watso087
08-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I think it is crazy no one is targeting salmon with a fly rod around Sacramento. I am only telling yuou this because my wife basically wont let me out of the house right now to fish. Go to Oroville WMA. Swing intruders below Thermalito outlet "high flow section". If your on the opposite side of the outlet which you shoul be, there is a nice pool down and to the left of where everyone is parking. Swing through the fast water and let it hang back in that pool. THEY WILL HIT IT. Use some pro-cure on that fly as well. I got all my hits right on the surface. You will catch steelhead and squawfish as well. ENJOY

Darian
08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Who said nobody is, "....targeting Salmon on a fly rod around Sacramento."??? There are quite a few people who target Salmon on a fly around here (valley rivers).

The spot asked about in the original post (Sacramento River near Walnut Grove) just isn't normally thought of as fly water for Salmon for a number reasons. As I said in my post, it doesn't mean it can't be done.... If you'd like to try Salmon fishing with a fly down there, go for it. Who knows, you might just start a movement.... :D

winxp_man
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Any one know of good areas to fish the Mokelumne river? I was reading that small article and also the pics looks like there are some fish running up. Should be fun if you can find a few riffles and get them to take some flys and bend a rod :D