PDA

View Full Version : Davis Reports

koffler
08-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Probably a poor time to ask about updates as it's the dog days of summer but arrainging a trip to Davis around mid-September. Although not a good indicator, any reports out of there as of late? Water levels? Etc.

Did the two camprounds (Lightning and 'x') get repaired and are they up and operational - last year they were closed for repairs. Also, any ideas as to when they close for the year?

Thanks,
Jason

Troutstalker55B
08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Koffler,

Mid September is when things get going again at Lake Davis, the shorter days and colder mornings will trigger the fall grab, look for the peak to be around the last week of Oct. Expect some blood midge activity and have pupa, emergers, and adults in your box size 14. Calibaetis mayflies may be present as well so carry the nymph, and the adult #14-16. Big ugly flies start to do well too, I like a #6-8 3xl rust and copper Jay Fair trolling fly or a #10 wiggle tail. Sheep Creek specials all day long as well. Keep you eye on the bank, as the water temps drop the rainbows can be found in the skinny water. - I'm pretty excited about the fall fishing no matter the venue. it's the best fishing of the year!

Jon.

betty
08-07-2012, 12:35 PM
According to reserveusa.gov, grizzly closes on labor day, grasshopper closes on oct 4, and it says lightning tree also closes on oct 4. In past years lightning tree would stay open after season dates, but there would be no services (water and garbage). Worth a call to beckworth ranger station.
Betty

kokaneejr
08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Koffler,

I was at Davis on Tuesday morning with a flotilla of others, none of which I knew and saw a few fish caught. I caught 2 and lost 2 on a rust colored on a wiggle tail slowly stripped. Wind came up early and I only fished for about 4 hours 7am-11. Fished the northeast end. Had to head back to my campsite at Gold Lake.
Hope this helps ...craig

bartly
08-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Fished there two weeks ago and caught 6. Some of them are fairly infested with that parasite, made me wish I had rubber gloves for the ones I had to touch, especially the most deteriorated ones. Was my favorite fishing hole for 20 years, not so much anymore with the fish looking and feeling the way they do now.
Wondering if there is anyway they can kill off the parasite in the lake? Also wondering if any of the state agencies are aware of it/or been questioned on what has happened up there?

OceanSunfish
08-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Fished there two weeks ago and caught 6. Some of them are fairly infested with that parasite, made me wish I had rubber gloves for the ones I had to touch, especially the most deteriorated ones. Was my favorite fishing hole for 20 years, not so much anymore with the fish looking and feeling the way they do now.
Wondering if there is anyway they can kill off the parasite in the lake? Also wondering if any of the state agencies are aware of it/or been questioned on what has happened up there?

It's a really sad situation. I would like to know if there is anything that can be done to reduce or rid the lake of the parasite as well. I have such fond memories of fishing that lake and the beautiful fish I would catch from that lake before and after the first treatment (botched). Now all I hear are first hand reports of the ICK on the fish..... Many have no intention of returning to fish the lake too......

jayclarkflyfishing
08-12-2012, 08:47 AM
In my view, the only way to rid the lake of the parasite is to reduce the number of hosts. Maybe fewer planted fish and an increase in daily bag limits would help the situation. My biggest concern for Davis is the fish are small compared to how big they should be 4 years post treatment. Lack of snails and damsels and an overpopulation of fish have led to , in my opinion, smaller trout.

Jay

OceanSunfish
08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
In my view, the only way to rid the lake of the parasite is to reduce the number of hosts. Maybe fewer planted fish and an increase in daily bag limits would help the situation. My biggest concern for Davis is the fish are small compared to how big they should be 4 years post treatment. Lack of snails and damsels and an overpopulation of fish have led to , in my opinion, smaller trout.

Jay

I agree.

I know the water pool for the first treatment wasn't nearly as low as it was for the second. I surmise that the aquatic insect life and snails remained robust after the first treatment due to larger water pool. Also, the water pool wasn't kept so low in 1996 to 1997 as it was to the run up to the second treatment.

In hindsight, I suppose DFG should have slowly reintroduced Eagle Lake fingreling trout to match the quantity of food available..... When I attended the Scoping Meeting in Sacramento during the run up to the second treatment, I stated publically that the reintroduction of trout into Davis Lake should be done slowly and carefully; in other words, don't rush and get it right.....

At the time, "don't rush" was a given...... afterall, it's DFG. I was more concerned with "get it right"...... which didn't happen...... again.

I'm pretty sick about Davis Lake and what has happened up there..... What a crying shame. I had plans to practically live there and fish with my two young sons...... I fear that my boys will be off to college before that lake gets corrected....