PDA

View Full Version : I was asked the dumbest question

Scott V
08-06-2012, 11:49 AM
So I am at the beach over the weekend fishing the surf. I had a surfer walk up to me in the water and ask me if I was practicing? What the heck? Practicing? I just looked at him and shook my head. Maybe I should have asked him if he was practicing with his surf board.

That has to be the dumbest question I have ever been asked while fishing.

Darian
08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I can kinda understand the question.... Maybe the guy had never seen anyone fly fish in the surf before.... It's not exactly a mainstream activity. In general, the main target of fly fishing in NorCal is either warm or cold, freshwater fishing Salmon, Steelhead and/or Trout.

To illustrate, take a look at the number of threads/posts in the General Fly Fishing, Trout or Salmon and Steelhead Forums on this BB as opposed to almost any other category. Also, compare the number of Bulletin Boards and blogs related to fly fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and/or Trout as opposed to all other categories of fly fishing BB'. Lots more of the former then those related to fly fishing in the salt.

Scott,.... Neither You or I fit exactly into the mainstream description of fly fishers in Norcal who, in the main, worship at the alter in the church of anadromous Salmonids. Probably a lot more people surf than fly fish in the surf. It is slowly changing, tho. :D

jbird
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I dont think thats a dumb question. There are no dumb questions... remember :-) ;-) I rejoice anytime a stranger wants to talk to me. This world is so full of self involved people these days, it makes me happy when someone comes out of their way to say something thats not insulting :-) I doubt that guy has a very high oppinion of the first fly fisher he met...Just my $.02

aaron
08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Surely you've never asked a gaper question Scott. There's a reason flyfisherman get a bad wrap for being stuck up or whatever. It's a good opportunity to educate people who may have an interest no matter how small in fly fishing.

Jet
08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I've seen your casting! ;-)

Jet

winxp_man
08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
I actually like when people ask me questions no matter how small because it makes me seem smart :D Cant beat that.

Scott V
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I love it when people ask me what I am fishing for or ask other questions. But what stumped me is the thought I was practicing. I guess I am the only one that thought it was silly. We talked for a few minutes, especially since I grew up surfing.

And trust me, I am the last one anyone would consider a fly snob.

Your a funny man Jet!

Walker
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Hey Scott,

Did you catch anything? I went out to the surf a couple weeks ago and practiced. That's what I'm going to call it for now on when i get goose egged. Seriuosly, it was my first attempt at fishing from the surf and just curious where you went and how you did?

Thanks, Josh

frequent_flyer
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Here's your sign

Cmcculloch
08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Maybe he thought you were practicing like a Doctor does.

Actually most of the time I go out it is to practice my casting, as the catching is relatively unusual.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Many non-fly fishers think we only fly fish in streams for trout......with dry flies.

I have had many fly fishers ask me "Do you really fly fish for Stripers?"

Many fly fish for trout but fish conventionall for everything else.

The person who only fly fishes and fly fishes for many secies is a rare bird.

PS: If you worked 30 days in a fly shop you would be a changed person.

Fly Guy Dave
08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Let's not overlook the fact that some surfers might not be the sharpest (or the soberest) folks around.
A good example:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/dderuysscher/Spicoli.jpg

jbird
08-06-2012, 04:27 PM
a gaper.

Spoken like a true, NW skier Aaron :-)

aaron
08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
heh, glad you got the reference Jay.

EricO
08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Nice one FlyGuy. LOL, But Mr. Hand........................ :)

EO

BillB
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I practiced in Morro Bay again with the same results. I should be getting close to perfect!

Scott V
08-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Let's not overlook the fact that some surfers might not be the sharpest (or the soberest) folks around.
A good example:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/dderuysscher/Spicoli.jpg

I resemble that remark! I grew up surfing and yes we were all just like Spicoli. :)

Josh, I didn't catch anything, I was throwing big flies for stripers. If I would have switched to perch flies would have probably caught a couple, I have yet to go blank when fishing for perch. But now it is all about big stripers in the surf.

pgw
08-07-2012, 03:39 PM
So I am at the beach over the weekend fishing the surf. I had a surfer walk up to me in the water and ask me if I was practicing? What the heck? Practicing? I just looked at him and shook my head. Maybe I should have asked him if he was practicing with his surf board.

Or,..."nope, salt dries things out so, I'm just getting salt water on my line to help it dry out...Here's your sign!"

Paul

Mike O
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
While fishing inside Morro Bay as a young man, I was asked by a kid about 12 years old..."Are you fishing?"
Without skipping a beat I relplied that I ws helping a friend practice for the Olympic Swim Team, and he was on the other end of the line...no joke.

huntindog
08-10-2012, 07:59 AM
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

David Lee
08-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Though it wasn't a question .... this was the best (worst ?) I ever heard -

I'm downstream of Rossmore quite a ways , middle of a hot Summer day a few years back . The raft hatch is on big time , I'm with my Wife and a Friend .... make a few casts w/ the 8 wt. -

Raft comes down about 50 feet out , 4-youngsters on it , two dudes , two Girls . One dude , obviously wasted ... says loudly "Fishing ? What the f$#k kind of idiot is fishing out here " ?? I stop stripping and stare at him . One of the Girls tells him to shut the hell up , he continues the rant at me like I can't hear him . The rest of the rafters can also hear him and suggest he keep his thoughts to himself . As they float downstream (still close , as there's not a rippin' current) , I make another cast , let the line sink .... strip a few times .... BANG !

Nice Stripe in the 10 lb. range . The mass of rafters goes totally quiet as I hold the Arm-sized Bass up as though it's an offering to the Sun ....

The look on the drunk kids' face is priceless .

D.~

Jeff C.
08-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Fishing for shad in Bruce's boat this summer we got asked the same questions from rafters multiple times every day. The best was "Did you catch anything?" while Bruce was reeling in a shad. Bruce replied "Nope, nothing today!" as he netted the fish.

winxp_man
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
I had one hooked up in the bucket and as the rafter comes down he asks to see the fish ( I was thinking he knew a thing or two about fish) and then proceeds to tell me and no joke " Nice bass" hahahah gave me a good laugh and I just said yup sure is. :)

Sammy
08-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Though it wasn't a question .... this was the best (worst ?) I ever heard -

I'm downstream of Rossmore quite a ways , middle of a hot Summer day a few years back . The raft hatch is on big time , I'm with my Wife and a Friend .... make a few casts w/ the 8 wt. -

Raft comes down about 50 feet out , 4-youngsters on it , two dudes , two Girls . One dude , obviously wasted ... says loudly "Fishing ? What the f$#k kind of idiot is fishing out here " ?? I stop stripping and stare at him . One of the Girls tells him to shut the hell up , he continues the rant at me like I can't hear him . The rest of the rafters can also hear him and suggest he keep his thoughts to himself . As they float downstream (still close , as there's not a rippin' current) , I make another cast , let the line sink .... strip a few times .... BANG !

Nice Stripe in the 10 lb. range . The mass of rafters goes totally quiet as I hold the Arm-sized Bass up as though it's an offering to the Sun ....

The look on the drunk kids' face is priceless .

D.~

I would have LOVED this to happen to me. I woulda flipped that guy off with the other hand

winxp_man
08-10-2012, 10:26 PM
If its one place in all of California where you can hear some really dumb A@# questions or talking. Its the drunk or sometimes even sober rafters down the American river :D haha

pmh
08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
humm,,,funny

that the same thing my neighbor said when I was out casting a new set up in the pasture....

I told him I was going after snipe

I was using a BIG grasshopper pattern 4/0 hook, heavy shank, 2x long

2 x flourcarbon tippet on 20 ft leader, taper from 80 lb mono

6/7 powell summerrun with 7 wt wf cortland floating line

SA system II reel

and I kept a straight face the whole time

Paul