PDA

View Full Version : Tuolumne Meadows camping

Bob Loblaw
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
The wife just announced some very bad news. She's leaving Friday on a business trip to LA for a week and she's taking our daughter too and dropping her with the grandparents for a week of splasing in their pool and Disney.

I'll be home all alone with nothing to do.

I'm thinking about driving up to Yosemite and camping in Tuolumne and fishing the Lyell fork for a couple of days. Anyone know if the first come first served sites at Tuolumne fill up? I'll be leaving work in San Francisco in the late afternoon and won't get up there until about 7:30pm and I don't want to be stuck with nowhere to sleep.

Scott V
08-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Sorry to hear of your temporary loss Bob, my condolences and no sympathy what so ever goes out to you.:D

Have fun and take tons of pics.

Other than that I have no help for you on camping.

mikel
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
It was completely full 2 weeks ago and there were a lot of folks in the LF all the way to the bridge. Above that, not so much. Lot's of black flies so take some deet. Fish ate anything dry. ...there were camp spots open on Lee Vining Creek down below. There are places to sleep for you.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s402/beth2ks/Virigina%20Lakes%20Trip%20July%202012/July%2020%202012%20-%20Hiking%20in%20Yosemite/IMG_3652.jpg

-Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Last time I was there as 50 years ago.

That is where I watch these two old timers fly fish every evening on some little wide spots on the Tuolumne River (stream up there) near Tuolmumne Meadow Campground.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmcamp.htm

Bob Loblaw
08-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Might give the Lyell Fork a pass, looking on Yelp, it looks like the campsites are all full by 8am, and I don't really want to go over the hump to Lee Vining. If I drive that far I'll go to the East Walker.

Hmmmm, might head for the Upper Sac instead or the Pit. If YOU had a free weekend where would you go right now???

rouleur35
08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
so, lots of options up there. toulomne does usually fill early, may take a little longer during the week but it will still fill. the other campsites along tioga pass don't fill as quickly to include those on the other side of the pass. white wolf and porcupine flat are both good options, yosemite creek is a long ways off the highway on a crappy road. i think you have to bring all your water at porcupine flat. also 4 campgrounds right over the pass. school is starting to get back in session so it might not be as bad. you can always camp your first night at one of those spots then move to toulumne. never fished yosemite creek but it looks interesting where it crosses the highway although a few weeks ago it did look a little low. if you are willing to carry some gear about a mile may lake is a great place to go, it's about a mile uphill and an awesome spot to camp, get a permit at the first ranger station you get to ( right at the entrance at 120 if you're coming that way). also you can check there and sometimes reserve spots at those stations. also may lake is free, i just carry my tent and sleeping bag then hike out the next morning but there are bear boxes, running water, and toilets at may lake so it is a really easy place to backcountry camp.

now, if i had a week to fish i would head over to mammoth lakes. it's about 30 min away from tioga pass. you can camp back in devil's postpile ( best area is the main monument site). from there you can fish, san joaquin, hot creek, several spots of the owen's, rock and rush creeks, plus many other lakes and small streams. you can shower at the mammoth mountain center for 5 bucks ( showers are in the spa area so i usually soak in the hottub as well but don't tell anyone). from the postpile the bridgeport is about 45 min away if you really want to fish in the crowds.

as far as crowds on the lyell fork of the tuolumne, i've never experienced that but then maybe i don't fish at the popular times, i've also fished the meadow section with some success and without seeing others.

the troutfitter in mammoth lakes is a great place for info as to what's working and where.

hope this helps and that next time i go it's not packed out, haha

tom

Fly Right
08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
I spend several days each season fishing the meadows and surrounding areas. Don't expect to find an empty camp spot in that area this time of year unless you feel very lucky. If you are not committed to camping there is lodging with reasonable rates in Lee Vining and June Lake that are a short drive from the park.
You will have fun with dries......lots of little guys with the opportunity for a bigger fish around dusk.

k9mark
08-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Yanno, ya might want to think about the hwy 108 corridor. Lots of campgrounds as well as lots of places to hike into and get away from the crowds. Think about it.