PDA

View Full Version : Drain Hetch Hetchy Reservoir?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2012, 08:03 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/04/yosemite-national-park-lost-valley-will-be-subject-vote/?test=latestnews#ixzz22gQX8azU

Frank Alessio
08-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Why not approach this from a Common Sense angle...Before you can tear down one water supply you must replace it first with a new one... Instead of turning Angel Island into a High dollar housing track how about turning Angel Island into a desalination plant to provide fresh water for SF... While they are at it build some in Southern Cal...so we can be spared having a Salt Water Delta.....I know this is really more of my Radical conservative thinking but I can not help myself... Frank B. Alessio

winxp_man
08-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Why not approach this from a Common Sense angle...Before you can tear down one water supply you must replace it first with a new one... Instead of turning Angel Island into a High dollar housing track how about turning Angel Island into a desalination plant to provide fresh water for SF... While they are at it build some in Southern Cal...so we can be spared having a Salt Water Delta.....I know this is really more of my Radical conservative thinking but I can not help myself... Frank B. Alessio

There is always money and politics involved which is the worlds greatest argument starter for anything. If taken down others lose something or gain something. If not taken down someone else gains something or loses something. Worlds not fair and never will it be.

You either :crybaby: or :lol: I say put your vote on what you decide. Not one person thinks alike and that makes for an argument or debate :D

I like to stay away from arguing much and enjoy life because its short.........

Darian
08-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Lots of recent articles in the SacBee and SF Chron have touted this project. It's very emotional. The environmental community supports it.

I'm not pro removal of Hetch Hetchy Dam and agree that alternative sources of electricity/water should be identified before removal is undertaken.

On the other hand, I've read that proponents of removal, have identified that expansion of downstream facilities (Toulumne River) could be completed to make up the loss. Lots of pros/cons on this but I'm not on the pro side, yet.

As to DeSal for bay area communities, there are several projects in the pipeline for the shoreline. Delays in implementation have occurred due to lack of funding and objections by environmentalists.

Ironic that environmentalists would object without discussion. Since Tuolumne River water ultimately ends up in the Delta, the outcome of removal of Hetch Hetchy, expansion of existing dams and delays of DeSal projects would undoubtedly increase demand on and play into the demise of Delta water. :-|

winxp_man
08-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Lots of recent articles in the SacBee and SF Chron have touted this project. It's very emotional. The environmental community supports it.

I'm not pro removal of Hetch Hetchy Dam and agree that alternative sources of electricity/water should be identified before removal is undertaken.

On the other hand, I've read that proponents of removal, have identified that expansion of downstream facilities (Toulumne River) could be completed to make up the loss. Lots of pros/cons on this but I'm not on the pro side, yet.

As to DeSal for bay area communities, there are several projects in the pipeline for the shoreline. Delays in implementation have occurred due to lack of funding and objections by environmentalists.

Ironic that environmentalists would object without discussion. Since Tuolumne River water ultimately ends up in the Delta, the outcome of removal of Hetch Hetchy, expansion of existing dams and delays of DeSal projects would undoubtedly increase demand on and play into the demise of Delta water. :-|

Well put. Like I said there are a great number of pros and cons and hard to make a decision that will have a positive impact. But what Frank said is pretty much spot on they have to come up with another water source before taking down a fresh water producing reservoir.

Our Delta will suffer more if nothing will be done before a break down of Hetch Hetchy.

huntindog
08-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I say we remove hetch hetchy, and oroville and shasta and replace all pistachio trees and cotton with sage brush...