PDA

View Full Version : New Patagonia 'Bar Boots' for rocky rivers

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/rock-grip-wading-boot-aluminum-bar?p=79315-0-602&src=pfmxdf&netid=2&mr:referralID=b18dd239-dcff-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0

We have had aluminum sandals called Muncies from Creative Sports and StreamCleats from Dan Baileys in the past and now we have Patagonia wading shoes with aluminum bars for traction on larger rocky streams and rocky rivers.

We have the new Patagonia Rock Grip wading boots in stock now with aluminum bars.

Ralph
08-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Those Patago aluminum plate shoes are VERY grippy. I love them; however, three times in as many hours my leader or tippet got damaged when it drifted under the plates - the problem isn't trivial.For best utility, trace them with a ball point pen, pull them off and use a Dremel to dig a little bed for the plates to rest. Recessing them goes a long ways toward preventing sand and stuff (especially the leader) from getting trapped underneath them. Hopefully Patagonia will address this flaw on future models. On another forum I read someone put a bead of ShoeGoo around his plates instead of inlaying them. Probably easier.

If you have a smooth soled boot you can also buy just the bar kit from Patagonia. If you have a cleated sole, Simms Alumabrite studs are the ticket. They stick like river teeth.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks a lot Ralph....

I know that in the past aluminum has been very good on rocks.

I guess that the second generation will have imporvements but so far we like the idea.

Aluminum does wear out faster but i think the grip is worth it.

The North Umpqua comes to mind as a place where these might really help.....

Ralph
08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
A panda walks into a bar and orders a beer and a hamburger. After he eats he stands up stretches and pulls out a gun shooting everyone in the room but the bartender. The panda puts $20 on the bar and turns to leave. As he walks out the door the bartender asks why the panda shot everyone. The panda tells him to look in the encyclopedia. The bartender looks up panda and he reads "Panda: Large black and white mammal native to China. Eats shoots and leaves."

oldtrout
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/oldtrout/photo1lnz.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
We sold Dan Bailey's 'Stream Cleats' for years.....

http://www.fishusa.com/Dan-Bailey-Super-Stream-Cleats_p.html

aaron
08-03-2012, 04:14 PM
http://speyshop.kiene.com/patagoniarockgripwadingboots-aluminumbar.aspx

oldtrout
08-06-2012, 02:13 AM
But, and I quote:

" I love them; however, three times in as many hours my leader or tippet got damaged when it drifted under the plates..."

Try as I might, and I have really given it my best effort, I can't wrap my puny brain around this line control / boot bottom scenerio.

Ted S
08-06-2012, 07:50 AM
I had to think about this one for a minute too. I think the problem is that the line is getting caught between the aluminum bar and the rubber sole of the boot. If the bar were inset into the sole, then this would not be a problem. My understanding is that the bar is just screwed onto the lug sole of the boot, which leaves gaps at the edge of the sole where it meets the bar and the line can get jammed in there.

Ted

But, and I quote:

" I love them; however, three times in as many hours my leader or tippet got damaged when it drifted under the plates..."

Try as I might, and I have really given it my best effort, I can't wrap my puny brain around this line control / boot bottom scenerio.

oldtrout
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Ted,

That's what I understood Ralph's statement to mean. My puzzlement is why/how the leader got underneath the boot to begin with.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Years ago we sold someone a pair of Dan Bailey's slip on "Stream Cleats" (with Aluminum bars) and when they were very new the edges were sharp.

We had a guy step on his fly line and nip in into.....

After a day or so of wading the edges roll over and all is good.

Ralph
08-07-2012, 05:19 PM
But, and I quote:

Hi Don,
Sorry for belated reply -been away from computerville for a few days. It is pretty easy to have lots and lots of leader and tippet drifting around your feet when in the water with over a dozen 8-15 year olds!

EricO
08-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey Ralph,

Thanks for the info on the aluminum bar kits. I had no idea Patagonia sold 'em. I am dying to give 'em a whirl on the good 'ol slippery as snot Pit river bowling balls.

Maybe I will tame that river once and for all. ;) Although highly doubtful.

Eric

oldtrout
08-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Hi Don,
Sorry for belated reply -been away from computerville for a few days. It is pretty easy to have lots and lots of leader and tippet drifting around your feet when in the water with over a dozen 8-15 year olds!

Thank you Ralph, now I can give my puny brain a rest.
Years ago, I ruined a WF fly line by stepping on it with studded felt boots.