PDA

View Full Version : August for Stripers on the Lower American River.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2012, 09:19 AM
I would try to get out with guide/instructor Andy Guibord if you want to learn more about how to catch stripers on the American from a boat.

August is traditionally a good month and the fish can be very large.

http://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/

Here is a recent catch......

mar
07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
oh my.....
What a TOAD!!
Good job Andy!

Scott V
07-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Any good wading areas for those of us that do not have a boat and can not afford a guide?

winxp_man
07-31-2012, 10:10 AM
One heck of a striper there! There are nice big fish in the American river. Just have to go out and catch some.

winxp_man
07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Any good wading areas for those of us that do not have a boat and can not afford a guide?

I would say its pretty hard because you have to cover a little water and its a tad bit hard if your only wading.

Joe Mateas
07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow thats a fatty congrats to who ever caught it, a fish of a lifetime for most.

Darian
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
WOW!!! What a beauty. Can't wait to get out there for some action.... :D

Scott,.... Aaron is correct about wading for Stripers. But, you can at least have a chance to catch one wading anywhere below the "H" Street bridge down to the end of Paradise Beach. Waters only deep in a couple of spots. Save the super fast sinking stuff for later.

The only problems you'd have would be high water and people interfering (e.g. dog walkers, sunbathers, anti-fishing butt-heads and last but not least, meat eating beavers.... ;)

Charlie Gonzales
07-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Every access point of the American has wadeable waters for stripes (single and double hand rods).

MSWNCity
07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Another photo. It was a beautiful fish. Thanks to Andy for the terrific evening.

MSW

Mark Kranhold
07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Congrats to you both! Andy knows every rock on the bottom of that river....way to go guys, Hog wild! I hope that wasn't night fishing above the 80 bridge :lol::lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2012, 10:39 PM

"Last Chance Riffle" off south end of Ethan Avenue

Off Paradise Beach

Below island below Watt Avenue Bridge

Below Arden Rapids - Lower Goethe Park

Around any big rapids/riffle on the Lower American River.

For wading I like early and late in the day.

Two-handed rods are nice for wading rivers, lakes and beaches/surf.....

I would have Andy Guibord (Friday/Saturday/Sunday @ the shop) show you on one of our free LAR maps.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Andy also know where every large Striper was caught on the river too.

If you float the river in a boat you will see those big ones mid-day.

Hogan Brown
08-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Great Fish. Congrats to both guide and angler.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Hogan

Are you after any of those Stripers up your way on the Sac or Feather?

Hogan Brown
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Been out a couple days a week with clients bill. Been going between hopper fishing on the lower yuba and stripers out of Chico. Fishing has been good. Late start this year with the great shad run but it is going strong now.