PDA

View Full Version : Bass attack

Jay Murakoshi
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Here's a short 2:30 video showing a few bass attacking a purple worm fly. Notice how fast they can suck in and spit the fly out. This is why a lot of guys miss the take. The clarity of the water started to change due to an algae bloom
The camera used was a GoPro Hero2 HD with an after market flat lens housing. Since then, GoPro has come out with their own flat lens housing called the "dive housing" I made an attachment to hold a ND linear filter on to the front of the lens.

http://vimeo.com/46505579

Enjoy

Jay

Darian
07-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Great footage. Glad you posted this. I've watched it several times. Interesting to see them track the worm and pick it up, then turn and run. It looks like they take the worm while it rests on the bottom between jerks. Wouldn't that mean there might be some slack in the line that would allow the Bass to turn and spit out the fly???

When I went on a trip with Cap't KD, he mentioned that Black Bass are very agile, will take the fly and make a quick turn or twist and free themselves. The reaction and strike must be quick and strong. I've missed a bunch of strikes on top compared to those I've hooked. My fishin' partner is better at it than I am. Not gonna quit anytime soon, tho. 8)

Jay Murakoshi
07-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Darian,

I try keeping the slack out of the line. When I skip or hop the fly on the bottom. I slowly lower the rod tip and keep the slack line in my left hand. My main thing is too watch the line at the surface of the water, if it starts moving, I will lift the rod tip slowly then lift with a quick motion. Just like the bass boys do, when they feel the pick up, they lower the rod tip, give the fish time to turn and swim, then WHAMMY, the set the hook.
The only thing I fear when I go to set the hook is that heavy weighted fly come flying out of the water if the fish spits it.
I might take a few purple jig flys to baja and try them for the snappers in the rocks off Cerralvo. I thinking about a 4/0 purple or black jig with lots of rubber and some flash for the Amber Jacks and Pargo. If the conventional guys can use the yo yo method, I think I can use 12' of 30lb mono attached to a 700gr line. So, the largest lead eyes, 50 wraps of 4 amp lead wire, a rubber skirt and a cactus chennile tail.

Jay

Darian
07-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Maybe it'd be easier to set up the mono running line direct to the leader. A very heavily weighted fly (jig head??) could reach the bottom without the potential effects of the current on the shooting head. That way, you wouldn't be risking loss of the head in the rocks. If you felt it necessary to cast, you could do a strip cast. Whadda ya think :?: :?:

jbird
07-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Maybe it'd be easier to set up the mono running line direct to the leader. A very heavily weighted fly (jig head??) could reach the bottom without the potential effects of the current on the head. That way, you wouldn't be risking loss of the head in the rocks. If you felt it necessary to cast, you could do a strip cast. Whadda ya think :?: :?:

This is in fact a very common technique at Davis lake in Oregon. They use straight mono and a fly with the weight of a granade. Brett Dennis and the folks at Fishing Central Oregon guide this way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r36RIGwVXU

Its mind blowing how many bass bites you miss when fishing blind. I discovered this when I fished clear water and could see the fish. They can suck and blow a fly faster than you can react and they often do it from behind so they actually CAUSE slack in your leader when they take the fly. I have an old kinky floating line I like to use for bass. When slack, the line is kinda zig zaggy in the last 15' or so. When a fish bites on the drop, those zigzags act as an indicator.

Darian
07-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I found some of this out the hard way at La Ventana, years ago. Casting a T-14 head into the rocks in relatively shallow water. Got hit by something that took off like freight train, then stopped. When I pulled on it, there wasn't any feel of the fish. I'd been "rocked". In trying to pull the line free, the rough surfaces cut-off about 5 feet of the head.... I try not to make that mistake, now.

Very effective, tho. I gotta try it on the Bass.... :D

Dan LeCount
08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
God I havent been to Kelsey in like 10 years, that place is so fun.