PDA

View Full Version : Fresh New Stripers for First Timer

Tony Buzolich
07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
If you haven't been out on the Sac or the Feather lately they are really flowing high and have been for several weeks now. No, it's not for the benefit of the salmon or the delta like we'd like to think, it's purely another water contract deal sending millions of gallons south. Can you imagine how much more will be going south if that perriferral canal deal goes through? :(

On the good side though, it has brought in the early season salmon, and, I believe some NEW striped bass out of the bay. These seem to bright fresh and very strong fish, with some that haven't yet spawned.

I've been fishing both rivers with mixed results of feast or famine. There are lots of dinks around but for the last few days we've gotten into some really good fish. Usually we start to see some bigger fish show in late August and September that are probably working their way downstream. But maybe because of all this water we've gotten some new fish still moving in. Most of the fish taken in the last few days are averaging 4# to #8lbs. Here's my buddy Bob Bradbury with a nice one taken yesterday.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/001upload-2.jpg

Today I had thirteen year old Rocky Boat out with his grandfather from Willets take his first striper on a fly. What a great fish to get started on.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/Rockysfirststriper.jpg

I'm starting to get a little tired though as I've been on the water five of the last seven days, but these new fish have really gotten me going. Hope they stay around for a while longer.
Tony

Tracy Chimenti
07-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah.. we're helping the salmon... AND WE'LL SHUT THE DAMN FLOWS DOWN TO A TRICKLE ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 15TH, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FALL RUN... BECAUSE SALMON LIKE WARM, SHALLOW FROG WATER.

Same old lines, huh, Tony!

mar
07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
That's a nice first striper on the fly! The smile says it all. Good job Tony!