PDA

View Full Version : East Carson Canyon Access

Sammy
07-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Next Friday my brother and I are driving up to Tahoe for a wedding. We have a few hours on Friday to fish and I'd like to hit the East Carson. I'm really interested in hiking down to the canyon section. I just can't figure out where to park.

I've read a few things about parking at the airport or something, but looking at google maps, it seems as if there are a few roads that get you a little closer. (might be private roads though)

Can anyone give me an idea of where to park? Is it worth hiking in if we only have 4 hours to fish?

PM's are fine too

Jake O
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
if you can drive to the end of the airport road (four wheel drive necessary), the hike in is really only thirty minutes or so----easy hike. Plenty of time to fish even with your window of opportunity.

Sammy
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Is the "end" of the road the section that goes past the east side of the reservoir and then cuts towards the e carson?

Jake O
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Is the "end" of the road the section that goes past the east side of the reservoir and then cuts towards the e carson?

Yes, south east side of lake.

EricW
07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Having floated it a few times, there's a way from the east side off one of those mine roads to the opposite bank from the hot springs, I think within NV. I've seen vehicles on the bank, but never taken the time to personally explore a way in. Certainly 4x4 tracks, but checking from google earth it seems like a wrong turn could lead to a lot of dead ends.

wineslob
07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Having floated it a few times, there's a way from the east side off one of those mine roads to the opposite bank from the hot springs, I think within NV. I've seen vehicles on the bank, but never taken the time to personally explore a way in. Certainly 4x4 tracks, but checking from google earth it seems like a wrong turn could lead to a lot of dead ends.

Ya I've run into 4 Runners and such on the bank. Seems that there was a 4 WD road that goes over the ridge.

amoeba
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Next Friday my brother and I are driving up to Tahoe for a wedding. We have a few hours on Friday to fish and I'd like to hit the East Carson. I'm really interested in hiking down to the canyon section. I just can't figure out where to park.

I've read a few things about parking at the airport or something, but looking at google maps, it seems as if there are a few roads that get you a little closer. (might be private roads though)

Can anyone give me an idea of where to park? Is it worth hiking in if we only have 4 hours to fish?

PM's are fine too

Back to the original question; "Is it worth hiking in if we only have 4 hours to fish?
"

Answer: No. The hike from the airport is being underestimated. It's more like 45-60 minutes in, and twice that (that's right 90 minutes to 2 hours), coming uphill. You'd get more fishing in parking at hangman's and fishing upstream along the road, or west carson, which is closer. You'll get 2 hours more fishing in and same amount less hiking.

Bob Loblaw
07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I fished the East Carson this past weekend. Below Hangmans on Friday where I had to work hard for about 8-10 very small but fun fish. Above the Carson River resort on Saturday where the big dumb planters were virtually jumping into my net. I had 29 fish in less than 3 hours up to 24 inches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRlIp2Ysm8Y

Sammy
07-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Thans for the heads up guys. Think i'm just gonna keep it mellow and fish near the bridge. My brother bailed on fishing that day so now it's just me and the mrs.

She would much rather be tanning by the pool, so it'll be a quick stop by the river but I'll definitely wet a line

Sierrapacific
07-31-2012, 06:54 PM
I had the pleasure of leading a tour of the E. Carson for the Granite Bay FF guys on Thursday and we found that the conditions below the bridge were very tough. It's difficult to
catch trout in 70 degree water. Unfortunately due to the tour schedule, we had to fish below the bridge in the afternoon. The next morning, however, I and my son fished above the bridge and found lots of fish in the oxygenated riffles and pocket water. Unless you fish very early in the morning, I wouldn't bother with the wild trout section.

Greg Vinci

Fly Guy Dave
08-01-2012, 07:26 AM
I fished below Hangman's early Sunday AM and did pretty well. The first on a BHPT, and then when the water warmed up a bit, three on E/C Caddis. But having fished the EC for a long time, I carry a small stream thermometer with me and check the temp now and then to see how much it warms up. Once it gets above 65, I pack it in. Its just not worth it to stress out the fish. I was heading back to my rig by 11:15, but it was worth it.

Sammy
08-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Good to know. Did not realize that section could heat up that much.

Fly Guy Dave
08-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Good to know. Did not realize that section could heat up that much.

Yep, the EC isn't a tailwater, so with such a low snow year and a hot summer, the only safe time to fish is early and late in the day. Afternoons are reserved for naps, reading and soaking in the scenery. If you are fishing at last light, watch each step, as I've seen some big rattlers down there that come out as its getting dark.

Sammy
08-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Dang... I probably wouldn't get there til around 1pm. Should I just skip it? I don't need to catch fish THAT bad. Mostly just wanted to see a new river.

tallguy
08-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I can't believe you are only seeing rattlers near dark there, every time I go I seem to see them all day long seemingly everywhere. One year my partner and I saw 5 different ones on one day, and I routinely see at least 2 per day, often seeing the same snake twice (once fishing up then back) in the day even. On hot days in the summer, they actually like hanging out really close to the cool river, often not making a sound and thinking you are going to walk right by. Though nothing is quite like the excitement of the loud whirr next to your foot at dusk. The original, and best, test of proper heart function. Heads up.

Fly Guy Dave
08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Sammy-Perhaps you might want to fish the section above Hangman's Bridge, which is heavily stocked with planters. Personally, I don't fish that stretch and I don't want to stress our the "wild" trout in the C&R section downstream from Hangman's, so I stand down in the afternoons when the thermometer starts to indicate water that is too warm.

I've seen a few snakes during the day, mostly sleeping in a protected shady spot, not right next to the river. But I've seen a LOT more of them at dusk when they start to move around and hunt. Yeah, nothing like that shot of adrenalin when you hear that buzz close by. I know a guy that wears snake gaiters down there. I just watch each step and look around a lot when I'm on the move. A guy I know almost stepped on a HUGE one way down from Hangman's a few years back. It was at last light and he thought it was a small log...and then it moved. Creepy!

amoeba
08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Dang... I probably wouldn't get there til around 1pm. Should I just skip it? I don't need to catch fish THAT bad. Mostly just wanted to see a new river.

Answer: No, you should not "skip it". Go fishing; 1 pm on the water can be OK; fishing in deeper slots with broken surface/faster water - usually standard nymphs (hare's ear), or something in film (fox's pupa emerger, in green). I catch stuff in the middle of day there.

Go fish.

Sammy
08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Well.... By the time we reached the area it was pushing 95 degrees and we had spent an extra hour due to some really awful construction on 88, which closed the road down to one way only for 2 or 3 miles.

anyways, did not get to fish this trip.

Fly Guy Dave
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Well.... By the time we reached the area it was pushing 95 degrees and we had spent an extra hour due to some really awful construction on 88, which closed the road down to one way only for 2 or 3 miles. anyways, did not get to fish this trip.

That's too bad. A suggestion for this fall: pick a day when the forecast is cloudy and not too windy in the Sierras and make the trip to the EC. The Baetis come off in the fall on days described above, and fish can be rising ALL DAY long. It'll be worth it, trust me. No issues with warm water or road construction then either. :)