PDA

View Full Version : Lower American - Salmon???

DFrink
07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Okay, I'm going to ask an honest question and hope I don't ruffle any feathers. Does anyone fish for Salmon in the Lower American? I am a trout fisherman, caught a couple (literally) half pounders last fall and am planning to spend a couple mornings per month fishing the Lower A this fall (I work a block from the River). I see people talking about Salmon fishing, but never read anything from the fly guys about it? Is it practical? Is it ethical (I really don't know anything about Salmon fishing)? Thoughts? Please remember I am asking an honest question, so give me honest (but polite) answers.

Thanks,

Dan

Scott V
07-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Dan,
I plan to go for my first salmon in the American. If I get any info I will forward it on to you. Hopefully someone will either post here or send one of us a PM with some type of info.

DFrink
07-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds good. You think a 7wt is big enough? Any idea thoughts on tactics, flys? Sounds like I need to do some reading.

Dan

Scott V
07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
From what I have heard a 7 weight might be a little under gunned. I was told to think of a freight train and how I would stop it. As for flies, purple, black, and pink salmon flies. At least that is what I have heard. I was told to fish faster water also.

DFrink
07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Sounds easy enough :lol: . All I have is a 7wt so that will have to do for this fall. I have hooked salmon on accident on the lower Yuba with my 5wt and it was a joke, couldn't even get them to budge and ended up just breaking them off (one took a run and had me into backing in a matter of seconds). So fast water, sink tip, big colorfull streamer, now I wait for the fish.

Dan

DAVID95670
07-25-2012, 02:06 PM
i saw a lot of salmon last fall below the hwy 20 bridge on yuba. never hooked one but i am glad i did not when i was using my 5wt they are way too much to handle less than a 7 wt

DAVID95670
07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Can someone chime in that has actually caught one on a fly rod and give us some insight on how to get these on fly rods?

I have fished for Atlantic Salmon on fly rods but this was over hand casting flies from a canoe in New Brunswick Canada

lee s.
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
"Faster water".....? Hmmmm.....? When we target kings on the Smith and the Eel and occassionally on the Russian, we would look to the deeper, slower holes. Then again, are most AR fish already looking at redd time?
Bottom third of the water column or lower was generally our targeted area.
...lee s.

Darian
07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I've fished for and caught Salmon on a fly from coastal estuaries, northern and valley rivers. Not claiming any great expertise, just a lot of first hand experience.

Generally, in the Valley, you can find Salmon in two different types of river water, shallow or deep. Those caught in deeper/slower water are, generally, not as close to spawning as those in shallow/faster water. You can see 'em rolling in deeper pools (like the pool under the old Fair Oaks footbridge) anytime after the middle of August. Different rivers have differing time tables for returning fish. Best targeted in low light conditions.

I used to like to fish for them in deeper pools. Generally, that requires a pram or drift boat to cover more water. You can wade in shallow water but your opportunities will be limited by your lack of mobility. The fish caught in shallows may not be very high quality (due to the yuk factor).

If you're not experienced with Salmon, a 9 weight rod would be the least I would recommend. Match it with a reel that has some capacity and a good drag. Think fast sinking heads/lines and weighted flies. Color may be important but patterns vary greatly. Many with great success. I prefer the classic Boss/Comets but just about anything will do. Leaders need to be heavy enough for the fish. They don't seem to be leader shy. 10 pounds test minimum. Lots of guys use light gear but, whether they admit it or not, the fish that they play forever will die regardless of whether they're released. Beyond that, no lecturing on ethics from me.

I stopped fishing the American or Feather for Salmon many years ago as large fish that are easily caught in these rivers seems to bring out the worst in a lot of us. My advice, these days would be to take a guided trip on the American with someone like Andy Guibord or pick another river. My choice would be around Red Bluff/Los Molinos on the Sacramento below, say, Blackberry Riffle in a drift boat. Caught several 20 pounders in that area many years ago.

Of course, the real problem these days is making sure you that you're fishing legally. Lots of regs in place covering Salmon fishing in the valley.

Frankly, I wouldn't eat a fish I caught in any valley river outside of the Sacramento as they all tend to pick up an algae/muddy taste. The only way they taste OK is smoked. Sacramento fish tend to arrive early and stay in better condition than other runs. Catching Salmon in a valley river isn't really much of a challenge. Just Find some fish and get busy.

Anyway, good luck and I hope I haven't discouraged you. :)

Ed Wahl
07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7172

I switched up to a 10 wt, but you're still trying to turn a volkswagon.

Ed

Darian
07-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Well, I forgot to mention that there's much in books, magazine articles and DVD's on fly fishing for Salmon. Some of it reference material, much of it is informative/literary. Some fresh, some salt water. Check these out:

Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon, by Ferguson/Johnson/Trotter

Fly Fishing the Pacific Inshore, by Ken Hanley

Saltwater Salmon on The Fly, by Ken Hanley (DVD)

Anything by Russell Chatham

Terry Thomas
07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Keep in mind that these fish run fron 15 to 50 pounds! A ten weight rod would be a good choice with a fast sinking line. Heavier rods and lines that you would use to chase stripers would work. I would choose a fly that would come close to what the conventional gear people are using. A fly such as the Prom Dress is a good fly. The Comet pattern probably has caught more salmon on the west coast than any other pattern ever tied (IMHO ).

Cal
07-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I used to fish for salmon with an 8 wt singlehand rod but now use a 9 wt spey. Best place to get a nice salmon in CA is on the upper Trinity, now is a good time. I like the new intermediate Skagit line with T-8 or T-11 MOW tips and 12 lb maxima ultra-green. I agree with Terry, comets work very well, I often tiethem with longer shimmery synthetic tails.

I usually fish deeper pools and the kings tend to stack up, so when you swing through them you can foul hook a lot of fish. I became quite adept at recognizing dorsal hooked kings (they often jump immediately) or tail-hooked kings (take off screaming upstream). Fair hooked fish give you a couple of deep head shakes and usually run downstream.

After losing a huge number of classically tied comets I experimented with circle hooks, weighting the flies so they ride hook up, tying "weed guards" using either monofilament gaurd or a tuft of stiff bucktail to cover the hook point. I currently use dumbell eyes to make the hook ride up with the bucktail wing to cover the point. So far, they seem to work well.

If you have a chance I would head up to the Trinity River, I have heard that the river is pretty well stuffed right now.

winxp_man
07-25-2012, 10:01 PM
For the Feather and the American river here in town you would need a sinking line that can get down where the fish like to stay during the day. As for rod 8 your kind of pushing it. I would do at least 9 for me the 10 is the best. They do pull so be ready they are not trout or shad. I have fished for salmon for a long time. With a fly rod since 2001.

I will tell you this if you fish for these early birds they will pull like a damn train with out any issues. They are full of energy and ready to fight for there lives! Stay safe and have fun if you go out and fish for some.

Ty@Landpark
07-28-2012, 03:06 PM
It's been a while since I've posted on this board; however, the subject caught my interest. I've not purposely targeted salmon on the AR and unintentionally hooked-up with one while pursuing steelhead. What I've learned is that salmon and steelhead are pretty much attracted to the same fly patterns. My accidental hook-up was with a 7 wt rod using a fast sink line with a 2x leader and swing/strip technique on a black/purple leach pattern size 8. It was a heck of a fight..., actually, for a fairly significant amount of time..more like a tug-a-war pulling against the fish and the river current. Fortunately, I landed the salmon and it wasn't too big - approximately 9 lbs then a quick release. Fished fairly deep slower moving water. Oh, be prepared to chase the fish down if it turns downsteam on a run and watch for slippery rocks. Have fun and report back any success.

Ed Wahl
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Lost one and landed one this afternoon at Riverbend Park. The landed one went 25 to 30 lbs.
First time salmon fishing since the runs crashed. Gear guys hooking up constantly.

Plastic bead melted onto a hook per Joe Shirshac's instructions years ago. A 4ft piece of 15lb maxima for a leader, type 4 sinking shooting head and 200ft of 30lb amnesia for shooting/running line.

Lost about a dozen hooks to snags so bring a lot of them.

If all I had was a 7wt I'd use it but I'd have to promise not to bitch if it breaks. These fish are incredibly strong. You'll need the shooting head set-up because the casts are roughly 100 ft. Plust if you lose a line at least it's not 70 bucks stuck on the bottom.

Ed

mike N
10-22-2012, 04:24 PM
I used to fish for them quite a bit with a fly rod. Good times. I haven't in a few years though.

I did a little snorkling at the hatchery yesteday. Here is a little raw video from swimming with them in the river below the gates.

MN

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/mikenovotny/Nimbus%20Hatchery%20Salmon%20102112/th_GOPR0964.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/mikenovotny/Nimbus%20Hatchery%20Salmon%20102112/?action=view&current=GOPR0964.mp4)

winxp_man
10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I used to fish for them quite a bit with a fly rod. Good times. I haven't in a few years though.

I did a little snorkling at the hatchery yesteday. Here is a little raw video from swimming with them in the river below the gates.

MN

That is one nice video thanks for posting! :D The fish look good and soon ready for spawning.

Mark Kranhold
10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks for sharing Mike! Did you happen to see any big resident stripers during your dive? I have a friend that dives in there during the summer and sees some hogs in that hole.

Ed Wahl
10-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Mikey, long time no see Bud!

Excellent video.

How about doing a drift and swim through our favorite run?

You'll need a knife of course.

And maybe a small handgun, I'm sure one of those rednecks will try to land you and steal your roe.:lol:

You could plot out the rebar snags for us. And maybe chart a new course for the "chase 'em down the rapids" routine. I haven't had to do that yet but I'm sure it's coming.
Thanks for the underwater views.

Ed

mike N
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm glad you guys enjoyed the video. I'll post more if I get out again this season.

I don't have a hook proof wetsuit, otherwise I would love to do that drift, Ed.

I didn't see any big stripers below the gates. But I was only in the water for about 45 minutes and I didn't cover too much water. I have seen a couple big ones in other spots on the river though.

This dive did stir the salmon FFing embers a bit, I almost pulled a rod down from the rafters to see if I could still cast a shooting head. Maybe after the next big rain?

MN

timmosazz
10-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Can you share this melted bead set up went back and can't seem to find the info on it.

Mike O
10-29-2012, 07:11 AM
http://www.ehow.com/how_6638432_make-trout-beads.html

Blueracer
10-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Ed, you ever get any using an ESL?

rubberguy
10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
i did the same thing to make an egg sucking leech. but i used the small flourescent corkies. a wide varity of colors and you don't have to heat the hooks.