PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the Sac. to oppose the Peripheral canal?

Joe Mateas
07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
On Blantons board there are a few posts by Dan Bacher and Mike Makenzie on the subject. It looks like more than just Striper fisherman are stepping up to the plate to fight for the Delta now. I plan on hitting the American in the early Wednesday(the 25th) A.M. hours to try for some Linesides then on to the capitol by noon to join the opposition. I hope we can do something about this, I can't imagine my life with out the Delta even if it is only a shadow of what it once was, just think what it will be if/when this goes through.

OceanSunfish
07-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Thank you for attending.

It's seems pretty ridiculous that the proponents can continue to shove their proposal down our collective throats despite being told NO.

In the meantime, because every Governor we seem to have in office is 'obligated' to the Resnicks and Westlands in all of this, all common sense and accountability go out the window.

I'm too tired and focused on other personal matters to write sensibly on this now.

As an aside, how do you like the fact that the current plan/budget allows for the hiring of 75 new employees for DWR to work directly on the Peripheral Canal! All the while, the rest of the State's Agencies get hacked, including our DFG/Wardens, etc.

You can't even make this stuff up!

mar
07-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for posting the info. I might go for an extended lunch and attend.

Mar

STEELIES/26c3
07-24-2012, 01:04 AM
As always...

I'll be there fighting for the fisheries and resources I use, love and respect too much to see destroyed by Resnick et al...

Mr T
07-24-2012, 10:37 PM
yep gonna make it there along with a couple buddies from another board.

bart
07-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for going guys!Eye sight prevents me from being there.

Joe Mateas
07-25-2012, 09:58 PM
I dfidn't make it early to hit the river because of a last munite call for work but I did make it to the rally. It seemed to be a decent turn out and the speakers were great. I couldn't stay the whole time, had to leave about 1:15 but what I was there for was awesome! I just hope there's something we can do to stop all this.

Mr T
07-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Went and met a couple buddies there, abouta 100 or so showed up.

Cracks me up how simple the state thinks it is when THEY want to ram something down our throats.

Scott V
07-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Saw it on the news last night and Brwon says it is going through and he will work as hard as he can to get the tunnels to happen. 2 tunnels 35' in diameter taking water straight from the Sac river. Looks like the delta will become a salt water marsh.

DFrink
07-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Wow, haven't read a lot about this topic (embarrassing admittance) but after spending some time on the web, this is really concerning. I need to do more "homework", I just hope everything doesn't point me to the same conclusion as the articles below did. Doesn't sound good at all...

http://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/2012/07/the-peripheral-canal-a-bad-idea-then-a-worse-idea-now/

http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2012/07/25/peripheral-canal-emerges-dead-dracula

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120708/A_OPINION03/207080306/-1/A_OPINION

mar
07-26-2012, 08:44 AM
This whole thing defies logic. Politics at its finest.
It was a good turn-out with several organizations being represented. I couldn't stay the whole time, but the speakers were great.
Some pics from the event. Spread the word!!!

Rockman
07-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Amazed at how fast they are trying to push this thru. On my yahoo page, when I scroll over the article, this little sidebar pops up. " Brown plans to pursue a massive project to move water from the Sacramento area into the Central Valley and Southland and help restore the ravaged delta habitat.":---) How does the removal of massive amounts of Nor. California water " Help" restore the delta? Can someone explain this to me? If they plan on doing this just below Freeport, won't that allow more saltwater to work its way into the delta, how does this help restore our ravaged delta habitat. Someone please humor me on this.
This will be a catastrophe. EVERYONE!! needs to fight this.

Rockman

OceanSunfish
07-26-2012, 04:38 PM
I saw an extremely defiant Gov. Brown say that he's going to see 'this' *bleep* project through! What a jack-ass.

The whole concept of shifting more water to unsustainable agriculture in the desert is absurd. This is the same stupid concept that was defeated 30+ years ago. Nothing has changed except the will of an elite group of people hell bent on securing their 40+ year annuity.

So, within a week or two, we have the "train to nowhere" and the "sub delta tunnel".

California is a real beaut.

Darian
07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Did anyone notice who was backing Brown during his announcement/ press interview :?: Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar. Like him or not, Brown is a savvy politician and knows which side of the bread his butter's on. The potential for federal funding is now the driver in this. That must mean that Brown has decided that the bond initiative for project funding will not pass.

So the feds are now the heavy hitters. The federal government probably sees the BDCP as a public works project that will provide jobs for at least 25 years. So the deck is being stacked higher and higher. Damn the environment, full speed ahead!!!

Due to another brief stay in a hospital, I was unable to attend. Was there anything said by opponents that indicated a course of action :?: If so, what was it :?:

STEELIES/26c3
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Yah, scary to think that the same dept. responsible for our Natl Park system is also backing this initiative.

Even sadder... it's not even an initiative and the gov seems to think that by riding on the coattails of the Feds, it will somehow be above public scrutiny and the legislative process... I'm confused and wondering how this project somehow seems to have immunity from CEQA, NEPA, ESA, and other environmental-protective legislation in place...

I was at the capitol yesterday and heard/supported the arguments against building the tunnels but heard no solid plan of action nor preemptive move to thwart it.

I managed to get my picture in the SF Chronicle likely due to my whacky props (stuffed salmon, dugout, birch-bark canoe and an INSTANT FISH... JUST ADD WATER! tee shirt...).

I also learned of a fundraiser I would encourage folks to attend:

See link below:

http://www.deltanewsandreview.com/2012/07/delta-film-over-troubled-waters-at.html

and found an article which may be useful to some folks. Again, see link below:

http://yubanet.com/california/Dan-Bacher-Congressional-Leaders-urge-cost-benefit-analysis-of-Delta-tunnel.php#.UBIxC6BPl0w

STEELIES/26c3
07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
http://www.deltanewsandreview.com/2012_07_22_archive.html

So whereas it seemed almost a done deal.... it isn't.

The costs of building/operating the project (both internal and external...)
The uncertainty of any real science or cost/benefit analysis
The fact that the project depends upon end users to pay for the water as well as for tax payers to fund the supposed conservation aspects of the plan

all point toward voter rejection at the polls as happened in 1982 and in nearly every water-related bond measure put forth since then...

Still, far too few people have a clue and even fewer really give a chit so we better keep them politicians on their toes.

Darian
07-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Saw your photo. The dugout was a really nice touch. :D

The article had some interesting points hidden in it. The cost is est. at $19.0 Billion (an increase of $5.0 Billion already) while the original proposal was scaled down to 2 water intakes with a capacity of 9,000 cfs (that's still 2,000 CFS more than currently pumped), the bond issue is the portion of project funding aimed at enhancements to the environment and the project is to be completed before taking any action to "restore the Delta". Up front money is federal/Feinstein has lent support to this project.

I'm really hoping the someone will finally admit that there're viable alternatives to this proposal. Most of the local government entities already have plans in the mill to construct DeSal plants and have implemented water conservation, recharging aquifers and use of recycled water.

One concern left unaddressed in all of this is ag-water run-off. It should be addressed as a part of this project as provided more water to big ag means more polluted run-off. :-s

STEELIES/26c3
07-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Damn Darian... Is there ANY thing you don't read or find out about?

Of course that's a good thing :fish:

It's always good to keep abreast... or two ;)

M

Darian
07-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah.... I hate to admit it but I'm curious about everything and love to talk about stuff (Probably too much). Sorry guys. :o

Of course, you guys could get together and bribe me not to do this.... I can be bought. :lol:

STEELIES/26c3
07-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah.... I hate to admit it but I'm curious about everything and love to talk about stuff (Probably too much). Sorry guys.

Nah...

You're good for business.

It's good that you seek the truth unbiasedly and examine/question all possibilities before making conclusions.

You're obviously a reporter/scientist type and not a sensationalist/politician type... although not sure after this last comment:

Of course, you guys could get together and bribe me not to do this.... I can be bought.

:D

Darian
07-28-2012, 07:52 AM
That thought is flattering but during my working life, what I did for a living couldn't have been further from being scientific. Closer to political, then, more now.... :lol:

I like to stay informed. Just being curious will expose you to information and people who really do know what they're talking about. 8)

Darian
07-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Let's get back business. During the last two weeks, the Governor has initiated two major public works projects. High Speed Rail and the latest version of the BDCP at a time when the state, general fund is broke. Currently, neither project enjoys public support, both will reduce real property (acerage) and associated local revenues, both pose potential hazards for the environment and neither project could begin without substantial federal funding.

The current federal administration is locked in a tight campaign and wants to address the unemployment situation. If you're a federal official, what better way to do that than funding two projects already underway in a state that has been hit hard and is governed by a guy whose father started the current water diversion/transport/storage system. Every politician wants to be remembered through some sort of legacy. These two projects could be Browns legacy.... Not what I'd like to be remembered as but.... Good, bad, ugly but unfortunately will be implemented. :-|