PDA

View Full Version : Gold Lakes Basin help

kokaneejr
07-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I just found out that the only time I can take off for a bit at work is a midweek in early August so I was thinking of trying the Gold Lakes Basin. I would be car camping and bringing my float tube. Probably fishing at Sardine Lake as it looks beautiful as well as river and maybe camping at Snag Lake. Does anybody have any experience in this area. Better fishing lakes (as there are many) and any interesting hikes. PM if you like.
Thanks...Craig.

Mark Kranhold
07-23-2012, 10:55 AM
PM sent, check your in box

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Early (May/June) and late (Oct) is better in the lakes in the Gold Lakes Basin.

Fish are a little deeper in August with the warmer surface temps.

Fish early and late in the day and take a deep sinking full line.

Fish small (#12) olive or brown tone woolley buggers and other small attractor lake wets.

http://plumascounty.org/Places%20to%20Stay/LakesBasin.htm

Try fishing the NF of the Yuba River from Bassett downstream to Sierra City and even as far down as Downieville, CA.

Fish early or late with dries and daytime in the heavier riffles with nymphs.

http://www.bassetts-station.com/

http://www.sierracity.com/

You could fish some smaller streams up there too.

I would be fishing early and late in the day except on small hike in streams that can fish well all day long.

Have some small hoppers, ants, and caddis.

Mike O
07-24-2012, 12:35 PM
I have camped snag lake the last 3 years with my son. It is a great little CG as long as you realize a couple things...

Even though it is right off the road, getting into some of the campsites can be a little rough without higher clearance. I blew a tire in there in my minivan the first year.

Sometimes the people there can get a little loud (as with anywhere, especially free areas)

There is no water, other than lake water...bring it or boil it.

Vault toilets...bring mountain money.

Pack out your trash...there are dumpsters down at Bassett's for that purpose.

Fishing with worms/powerbait is good on the lake, best spot for me was just over the "dam" on the south shore of the lake. Seen a few people take them with kayaks and canoes too. The bottom is pretty muddy if you are tubing or tooning.

PM if you have any other questions.

Mike

beachjumper1
07-25-2012, 07:49 PM
We use Packsaddle small, lots of space between sites, not a lot of use midweek. we wer there 15 jun for a week only saw three people. water comes from a hand pump, one pit head. it was clean and quiet have fun George

JAWallace
07-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Just returned from fishing the Gold Lakes basin, and the surrounding rivers and creeks. FWIW:

Caveat--this was not a fishing trip per se, so I didn't get a lot of time on the waters.

Middle Fork of the Feather: I fished upstream from Sloat with absolutely no action. I pounded the pockets pretty hard. There was a guide with two clients fishing upstream with the same results after putting in four hours. The water is very low and about 70 degrees. Fishing in town didn't happen, partially due to the bridge work in Graeagle, mostly due to the even higher water temp. I did see a fair number of carp around the bridges though:cry:

The creeks are all very low. I didn't even bother to cast a line in Jamison. I saw no running water that wasn't down to a trickle.

Came back via 49 and the N. Fork of the Yuba is way low too but still areas of pocket water.

Gold Lakes

Keep in mind that these are mostly put and take lakes, so your success will depend largely upon the DFG deliveries. The stocked lakes as of the last few weeks are Gold Lake (very large), Lower Sardine, Packer Lake, and Upper Salmon.

I fished Upper Salmon yesterday. It's a small lake, great for a float tube, and there are trout in there. I know this because my wife was camped out on the boat ramp in a lawn chair reading when the DFG delivery came, and she signed for 600# as a witness :roll: All other fishermen were using bait and were not doing anything before the plant. After the plant we all got a few but they were anemic little things, 8-10". I used a brown wiggle tail. I could see some larger new plants cruising, completely disoriented, and tried indicator fishing, stripping a Sheep's Creek, Griffith's Gnat, nothing worked but the wiggle tail.

I think smaller is better at this elevation, because the big lakes can get very deep. Upper Salmon tops out at about 23'.

It was OK, but we can get the same thing done in Mather Pond. Obviously the lakes there are majestic and gorgeous, but small test tube fish in a lake are not fun to me. No pressure though, so that was a nice plus.

If I were to repeat the trip and had more time, I would take a chance on some of the hike in lakes and there are plenty of them in the Basin. We know there are wild Browns on the west slope and I believe some of these lakes will support them as well. Local knowledge around Graeagle is either tight lipped or lacking, and I believe mostly the latter. I would start dialing for dollars, talk to F&G and forest service people and state park employees.

kokaneejr
07-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks guys,

Fyshhead, thanks I will call you next week with a couple questions.

Localcenters I know a guy that used to work up there (Ranger) so I am trying to get some knowledge from him. I see that DFG has 2 of those lakes recently planted so that should improve things. I am dealing with a bout of Plantar Facieitis so we will see how much I am willing to hike.

I think I might have to waait and see if any lakes are going to be planted before I go to make a special trip.

Just trying to find a good camp spot that isn't $18 I think plumas has some free ones..Maybe Snag.

Thnks again for the info.

Mike O
07-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Snag must get planted. Always catch fish there

OregonSalmon
07-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Grass Lake. Bit of a hike, about a mile and uphill. Cool spot. You'll have the whole lake to yourself.