PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on big fish

luckydude
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm leaving Saturday to float the south fork of the Flathead. Supposedly full of big dumb cutthroat.

I'm used to trout like this (northern pike are different, I measure those in feet):

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/photos/1999/07/84.html

which was in the Bob as well as it turns out.

I've *never* had a fish get into the backing. So I'm a total noob to big fish. For those of you who went from the 12-16" range to bigger, how did it go and what advice do you have?

Thanks.

Reno Flytyer
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Use 6X tippet and strike really hard. Don't let them have their head and strip them in quickly.
Or use spinning gear.
RFT

Darian
07-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Don't over think this. Just relax and enjoy the ride.... :D

jbird
07-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Big fish fighting is a back and forth match. Either he's pulling, or youre pulling. When he makes a run, let him. When he stops is when you go to work. A high rod position doesnt do much for tiring a big strong fish. Pay attention to which way the fish is swimming and pull backwards toward his tail if you can. Keep your rod parralel to the water and pull side pressure to try to turn his head.
Its good to get the fish on the reel if you have a good drag. This can be a challange if the initial run is blistering and your loose line is flying thru your fingers at a blinding speed. Its a good idea to spread your line hand far away from your rod hand during this moment to avoid "jumping" line loops from finding your reel or rod but.
If the fish makes a run at you, dont try to reel up on them, start hand stripping to stay tight. I sometimes fight big fish in intervals on the reel and stripping if its a goofy fighting fish.

Now, save all this information for when you go somewhere you will need it. Ive caught yellowstone cutts up to 23" and and stripped most of em in. Same with lahaontan from pyramid lake and coastals in washington and canada. By and large, cutts are not known as strong fighters.

Have a great trip. They are gorgeous fish!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/JDS_2308.jpg

pgw
07-20-2012, 08:38 AM
When I guided for Ted Gerkin at Illiamna Lodge, I had a mantra that I repeated to clients when they hooked big (5 lb to 17 lb) Rainbows:

"Keep your rod up, let the fish run, & don't touch the reel!"

I witnessed a lot of leaders and/or knots fail as soon as a client touched the reel (either starting to reel in when the fish was running or, worse, using the rim control to slow a HOT RUNNING FISH).

Have fun with the cutts.

Paul

pgw
07-20-2012, 08:42 AM
I like cutts too...