PDA

View Full Version : NF Kings and Missing Kiene's

lcpl.allan
07-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I have officially relocated to the city of Fresno for work. I have had one fly fishing trip in the three weeks that I have lived here, and I can report that I was not skunked. I took an exploratory trip the upper Kings river and found my way to the North Fork of the Kings river and decided that I would stop there and fish for the remaining two hours of day light that I had. Well, God rang nature's dinner bell while I was on the water. After knocking the rust off of my fly casting skills I finally got some good drifts of a prince nymph followed by a bead head pheasant tail nymph. After searching a couple seams of water I hooked in a beautifully colored 7" rainbow. Doing this on a 2wt rod made it a nice feeling fight. After a celebratory swig of fine bourbon I decided I would tie on a fly that I have always know as an orange palmer. Second cast and a beautiful drag free drift and I watched, what most fly fisherman would call an absolutely gorgeous sight. I saw the fish come from the deeper shadows, swim up stream, open it's mouth wide, gulp in my fly, and break the surface of the water by about two feet as I set the hook solid and just in the upper right lip. It was about a solid ten minute fight to tire out the approximately 12-13" native rainbow.
After gingerly handling God's greatest creation (behind lose moraled women and booze) I helped it regain it's strength slowly swim up stream back into it's home of cool, crisp, clean water.
This, my friends, was my first fishing experience in my new home of Fresno. And I must say, if I can repeat this experience time and time again I think I just might grow to love this area.
Although there are amazing ares to fish down here and relatively easy access to goldens, bows, brooks, cutties, and browns, there is still not a shop to go to.
Mr. Kiene, if you ever feel the need to to fill Mr. Buszek's shoes and open a fly fishing shop down here in Fresno I will be a huge advocate of that. I do thoroughly miss the wonderful customer service, knowledge, friendliness, and over all willingness to help a fellow angler that your shop has always had. You never forget the first fly fishing shop you set foot in as a child and the accompanying love for trout that the shop helps you build.

Keep up the great work, continue to hire and train wonderful staff, inspire each new generation of anglers, and when the time comes relish in the glory that is retirement. You have done a wonderful job sir. Thank you.

Can anyone tell this fly fisherman misses Kiene's?

BillB
07-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Congrats lcpl and welcome to the dry part of the state. I really think we need a shop in Porterville though. If you stayed on the main river where you crossed the bridge to the NF and follow the road you would see some wonderful water. Eventually the road ends at Garnet Dike. The river in that area can be hard but the rewards are worth it. There are some very large inhabitants!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the kind words.....

I think I have been in the fishing tackle business now for about 47 years in Sacramento and I think it is mostly because of the wonderful people I have met along the way.

It is sad how many old timers who helped me out are gone now but they had wonderful lives as memebers of the "Great Generation".....