PDA

View Full Version : Third trip to Blackwell's Dean River Lodge

Don Powell
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Just returned from 3rd trip in 4 years fishing spring chinook and steelhead...
One must simply experience this to fully comprehend that there are still a few relatively unspoiled places on earth!

Mark Kranhold
07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Don, nice going! Looks like it was a great time.. Congrats! The Dean is absolutely a breathtaking river and one that will be etched in ones mind for a life time. Glad to see you are catching some nice fish and having a good time. Mark

Don Powell
07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks Mark,

It truly is an extremely special place...
Although Canadian residents can fish there, not very many do so. With the new regulations, Non-residents are limited to one week per year because it is a classified water.
Funny how those who have easy access take it for granted and those who are limited regarding to access treasure it!
I intend to enjoy this magnificent fishery into the future, regardless of the regulations...

Don

Digger
07-19-2012, 12:05 AM
May I ask what gear you used?
Do you feel an 8 wt is enough?

Thanks
Mike

Don Powell
07-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Anderson Custom Rods 12' 9 wt, Abel Spey (click and pawl), 150 yds 30# backing, Rio Skagit Short 625, Rio 15' T-14, Maxima Chameleon 18" leader butt, Maxima Ultragreen 30" tippet, Size #1, 2 pink tube flies for steelhead and Size #1/0, 2/0 black/blue tube flies for chinook.
Others used Winston BIIX 14' 8/9, Sage 15' 9 wt, Bob Clay "Riverwatch" Sustut bamboo, Loomis Dredger with Hardy Bougle, Nautilus, Farlex reels.
These Lower Dean fish are acrobatic and hot! Landing percentage = 20 - 30%
If you get the opportunity- GO!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
I was lucky enough to be able to go there once about 25 years ago with old Joe Shirshac and friends.

We helocoptered in and camped for two weeks.

It was one of the top 10 trips of my life time.

I would hope that all who have a feel in their heart for the wild and for steelhead would be able to save up their nickels and go there some day.

Blueracer
07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Don I wish I had as much loot as you do. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Who was your guide?

Don Powell
07-20-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure if it is "loot" or "misappropriated funds"- my car is twelve years old and my house is twenty five! Also, I am single so I don't have spouse generated expenses!

The guides at Blackwell's are currently April Vokey and Steve Morrow, both knowledgeable and very fun to be around. The fishing is independent for the most part- Steve drives the boat and drops anglers at different runs and April hangs with one of three groups of anglers of two.

Larry S
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Don,
Nice to know that such fishing still exists, reasonably close by. Don't really know either
guide, but April has done a stellar job with her "Flies for Fins" project. Details on
spey pages for those interested. Once it gets going again, there are some
fantastic bargains; especially on the auctions page.
For you married guys considering this trip, better not show your wives pictures of
April. Trip canceled or BYOW.
Best to all,
Larry S

flyguy1
07-21-2012, 11:24 AM
got to spend a week at Hodson,s (upper river) wirh my brothers (Paul and Mark (fyshead on message board) three years ago. What an awesome experience. I"ve been to BC three times now for SH. The dean is my favorite river so far. Hope to go back there someday. Don, was April Vokley one of your guides? Hopefully so, my brother and I met here at the ISE show in Sac, what a sweety. Can't wait to go back

Don Powell
07-22-2012, 09:29 PM
What a cool operation!
April Vokey is guiding with Steve Morrow to whom April's sister Dana is engaged...
It is truly a family affair! Dana is the classiest "cabin girl" anyone will ever meet!
Diana cooks awesome meals to top off the end of (and the beginning of each day)!!!
Justin Blackwell runs operations and is the onsite host for his dad, John.
After three trips, I know I am partial to these wonderful people and who in the world wouldn't be?
I would urge anyone who loves steelhead to experience the Lower Dean at Blackwell's...
You will never forget these people and the fishery that they steward!
GO!!!

Don