PDA

View Full Version : Upper Truckee for Cuts

esummers
07-18-2012, 02:43 PM
All,

I'd like to do an overnight hike this weekend and was thinking about the Upper Truckee. I was thinking I heard it had Lahotton(sp?) cuts in the upper section. Just wondering if any of you had any advice about that area, how the hike is, fishing, etc.

Thanks

Ed Wahl
07-18-2012, 07:00 PM
You heard right E. The walk in off 89 is pretty tame and gets you some excellent views. The cutts are there, and they're sweethearts. Stealth will be required but once you get the hang of it fishing there is a blast. Bring your favorite dry fly, whatever it is it'll work. I usually just use terrestrial patterns, size 14 and smaller. Smaller just because it helps minimize brain hooks on small ones.
Bring bug dope.

Ed

dickwhite
07-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Ed,
We literally just got back from hiking the upper Truckee and spending 2 nights at Showers Lake. You want to go in from Hwy 88 Carson Pass. Take the PCT from the Meiss trailhead. The flows are really really low so dont plan on fishing Meiss meadows. Very few fish to be seen and with such thin water it would be best to leave them be.

Look for more water and deeper pools below Meiss Lake. This will require some off trail route finding and bush whacking. Showers Lake while usually really good was blown out with 20-30+mph winds for 2 days straight. Rain and wind on the hike out today.

I wouldn't go in from Hwy 89-Big Meadow unless you like hiking 6+ miles of almost all up hill. The only reason I'd go that way is if I wanted to fish Round Lake.

Be sure to bring your bug juice.

Dick White
Tahoma CA

Ed Wahl
07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the report Dick. I'm gettin old and dyslexic, I meant to say hwy 88.

Ed