PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Crayfishing in the Sacramento River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-15-2012, 09:14 PM
About 30 years ago a neighbor and good friend Dino Moreno had the idea to get into commercial crayfishing in the Sacramento River.

I believe in Sweden they really loved crayfish and had had a disease which killed all theirs.

http://www.skandland.com/crayfish.htm

At this time people in the US where commercially catching them with a series of big baited traps in the Sacramento River, Lake Almanor and Lake Tahoe.

They sold them to Sunshine Fish and Meredith Fish Company in South Sacramento.

We took a large 24 foot outboard wooden cabin cruiser and cut the cabin off. Then we decked it with a boom and hydrolic powered pulley on the front for bringing in the lines that held the traps.

Dino's wife Bonnie made up a hundred or so large wire traps the size of an oil drum. We bought cans of dog and cat food that we used to bait the traps. We punched holes in the cans with a rock hound hand pick.

http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationforthesoul.com/images/crawfish_7.jpg

We had lines that were 100 feet or so of yellow nylon braided rope.

We had colored jugs on both ends of the string of traps with a red brick with a hole in it on both ends.We had our commercial number from the CA DF&G on those jugs.

We had a thing called a herring snaps like they use for commercial salmon trolling to attach the traps to the line.

We had a box that was built to hang out over the side to sort the crayfish for size with metal bars on the bottom spaces 3/4 of an inch apart.

We had big plastic totes that were given to us by Sunshine Fish that we put wet gunny sacks in to keep the crayfish alive.

Just like on the TV show "Deadliest Catch” we had a short piece of chain on a nylon rope with hooks welded on the sides to throw and catch the rope on the front of the line of traps.

We fished mostly south of Sacramento on the Sacramneto River setting our traps along and out from the rip rap.

At the end of the day we took in our catch and got paid for it. They had big fiberglass boxes like the ones on the tomatoe hauling trucks locally and they filled them with fresh water with aerators. They put the crayfish in the totes for several days to clean out their system.

They then cooked the crayfish in a special solution of spices and brine which they use to freeze them in too.

They showed us the shinny freezer boxes with a photo of a plate of red cooked crayfish that they used to package the crayfish.

They filled freezer containers cars up and then they were shipped off to Sweden.

Ever so often I would high grade out a dozen or so big ones and take them to my mom's and have crayfish dinner.

NCL
07-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Very interesting story, thanks.

Darian
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
I remember seeing the guys tending traps down there. That was a very big fishery at the time. The SacBee reported that the commercial fishery collapsed for some reason. Hasn't been up to the volume of that period since. :confused:

Nordic countries are still one of the leaders in the world for consumption/importing sea food. 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-16-2012, 11:04 PM
I think they were getting them from Turkey?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1989.tb00292.x/abstract

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-16-2012, 11:11 PM
CRawfish catching video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXpTtAK_xN8

Mike O
07-16-2012, 11:34 PM
This is NOT meant as an insult or joke.

Which of you would eat crayfish (or any resident animal) from the Sac River or Delta?

I have eaten striper, salmon, and sturgeon, not considering them resident...but local stuff? I am leery...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-17-2012, 09:00 AM
You might be right on there.....

They are all over up in moutain trout streams and trout lakes too.

The use to commercial crayfish in Lake Almanor and Lake Tahoe.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

While up in Oregon at South Twin Lakes cabins west of Bend (La Pine) Orgeon around 1976 our Cortland line Rep Joe Patterson told Mel Jeffs and I to help him get some crayfish.

It was maybe 9pm and walked the shore line with a flashlight, bucket and landing net....

In the shallows in a few inches of water were hundreds of crayfish so we just went along and scooped them up till the 5 gallon bucket was full.

We boilded them up and had a crayfish feed plus a crayfish salad the next day.

Darian
07-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Mike,.... Not sure what you're aiming at here:

"Which of you would eat crayfish (or any resident animal) from the Sac River or Delta?"

Are you saying the reason the collapse of the commercial fishery for Delta Craws was due to suspect quality of the Craws caught there??? :confused: It seems to me that whether I or anyones else would eat Craws from the Delta doesn't have much to do with the collapse of what was essentially a commercial, export fishery. More likely, the consumers in northern European countries probably re-developed there own fishery and may not have been aware of any concerns about the quality of local Craws....

If that's not where you were going just ignore this question.... :-|

Mike O
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Guess it was a bit of a hijack. Was aiming for whether you believe it is safe to eat (especially bottom dwelling, resident) creatures from the Sac and delta

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-18-2012, 07:18 AM
I got it Mike......they might have lots of bad stuff in their meat.

Out of the lakes and streams that are higher up they should be great.