PDA

View Full Version : Central Oregon Trip August 2012

JAWallace
07-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Headed up to Portland mid August for a high school reunion, and have at least five days prior planned to fish my way up. Here is the tentative schedule. None of these waters are new to me, but I'm hoping someone who knows August in Oregon well can tell me if the selections could be improved. Thanks!

Klamath Lake: Pelican and river mouths. Boat rental here--I think there's too much distance for the pontoon
Craine Prairie (channels), Hosmer, Maybe East?
Deschutes: Warm Springs or Maupin. Maupin if the steelies are up that far. Mecca is preferred generally.

Open to other ideas. Don't like creeks, prefer rivers and lakes. I'll have my pontoon but not my boat. Good tent camping recommendations welcome too. On the D I will definitely sleep in the SUV;-)

John

jbird
07-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a good plan. East lake would be my focus in central oregon. Crane can be good if the stars are aligned. Its been trying to come back the last few years and is starting to kick out some good days again, but the fish are quite mobile. here today gone tomorrow.

rouleur35
07-15-2012, 06:41 PM
salmon river west of mount hood, in zigzag, also good camping at green valley campground right on the river. there is a fly shop just west of salmon river road that can let you know what's working there. have fun.

tom

shawn kempkes
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
If you head to Klamath area you could float the williamson river from the public acess to the water wheel campground. fishing should be good then.

Crane prarie can be tough in August check out the Quinn river area.

The deschutes should have some summer steelhead as far up river as south junction by then. However you best bet would be to drive the acess road to macks canyon or to hike upstream from the mouth and fish early and late. The Columbia has been high and cold so the deschutes wont have the dip ins that it normally gets. plus the new flow regimes discourage the straying.

The Salmon river a tributary to the sandy is a beautiful river but it is very restrictive on where and when you can fish. IMHO go to the Metoulis instead.

Cmcculloch
07-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I vote for Hosmer Lake. Good chance to catch an Atlantic Salmon there without a trip to the east coast. It's a pretty lake in the shadow of Mt. Bachelor, near Bend.

While you're in Bend, I also recommend the Orvis fly casting course near their store in the Old Mill shopping area. It's an 18 hole course with different types and distance for targets to cast to, including some on the Deschutes River. Its free and open to the public. After a couple of hours on it your casting confidence will improve. Wish we could set up something like that closer by Sacramento.

Rick J
07-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Ther is always the North Umpqua - should have fair numbers of fish in it by August

shawn kempkes
07-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Ther is always the North Umpqua - should have fair numbers of fish in it by August

And dudes swinging from every tree.

fj40
07-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Crooked river is a lot of fun. Nothing huge but dry fly opportunities.