PDA

View Full Version : Blown-out Boots

Bruce Berman
07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Damn! Another pair of boots exploded on my EEE width clodhoppers. They were a lower-end Korkers boot (one year old), but I thought they'd last longer. (I do buy them 2 sizes too large and fill them with socks, which is just fine for steelheading.) I like the Korkers idea of interchangeable souls, but this is the second pair my feet have destroyed. Have to buy new boots anyhow to use in Alaska next month. Felt is no longer welcome in that state. I did try the studded rubber Korkers soul last year on the Trinity. Took two steps and then SPLASH! Got up muttering, "Well, I guess I have my answer on THAT soul", turned around, took a step toward shore and then SPLASH again. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone into the drink, so it wasn't me. Any suggestions for a non-felt boot system? I've heard that there are strap-on aluminum? bars that can be fastened to the bottom of boots. Do these work, or should I go with a standard good rubber soul? I just don't know what's out there right now. Thanks.

aaron
07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Simms boots run considerably larger than Korkers, I believe they advertise a EEE width.

Bruce Berman
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
But, I read in a previous post that they don't do well on slippery surfaces. I know that nothing will compare to felt with studs, but what's the next best alternative?

Tony Buzolich
07-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi Bruce,

Over the years I've had a bunch of different brand boots with different soles and what I've got now is by far the best (for me at least). What I have is Redington's CPS wading boot with what I believe is a synthetic black felt sole. Now, the box says "black felt" but doesn't say what it is made of. It seems to be a little more coarse than regular felt soles and I sure do like them,,,,,,, even on those slimey round rocks up in the low-flow.

Good luck up in that cold part of the world,
Tony

Larry66666
07-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Check out the reviews on Patagonia's new boot with the aluminum bars on speypages.http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=58670 I bought a pair after slipping and falling on the American in my old felt soles and feel that these are a real improvement. Hopefully the people at Kiene's will check these out and stock them. Larry

NCL
07-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Patagonia also has a video on the aluminum bars for boots. The video talks about the crampon system and the boot installed bars.

amoeba
07-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Bruce:

Nobody in Alaska will allow you to have any kind of studs, cleats, crampons, aluminum bars, or other metal shoe surface worn in their rental raft, or aircraft. If you bring the stuff back with wholes in an inflatable floor, or jump on someone's floats with cleats - there will be hell (and money that you) will pay. And you don't need cleats in a boat.

The footing isn't that bad for most places you would fish or float from in Alaska. Most of what you're gonna be fishing on is sand, or on land, or on pea gravel that isn't all that challenging. There are a few situations - rocky intertidal, and in freshwater - large slimy logs or larger rock streams, where cleats would be useful, but you can make do without them. It truely isn't worth it to bring cleats or bars and take them on or off.

IMO, you're best sytem is simms guide boot - not any other brand (due to durability of leather uppers and sewn in vibram).

It doesn't matter what color the felt is - it isn't allowed (not something I agree with, but will comply).

Bruce Berman
07-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree that any kind of felt or felt-like material will probably get me into trouble. This is totally do-it-yourself, no planes or boats this trip. It'll be the Kenai Peninsula and Cordova, all hiking and wading. I'll look into those bars and see if they go on any boot. I THINK I read that they strap on and off relatively easily. Maybe they'd fit on a Simms boot. I'll report back. Still up for any other suggestions.

Larry S
07-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Orvis sells "Shoe In Over Boot Stud Covers" @ $35. An open-type slipper that looks
easy on and off.
Best,
Larry S

JD
07-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Same problem here. Just picked up a pair of the Simms Freestone boots from Keine's, and I got to say I really like the fit of these boots (my feet are 4E) and the gripping power of the new Vibram soles. Much better than the old Aquastealth soles on my last pair of LL Bean boots. Also bought the hex-nut studs for these, and have not installed them yet, because they have worked just fine in easy to moderate conditions. Will have to put them in for rivers like the Upper Sac. and McCloud, I imagine.

Bruce Berman
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Ended up with a pair of Simms Headwaters. Can't believe that I'm wearing a size 12 when my sneeks are 9, but with 2 heavy socks there's not much extra room. Although these will be my alternate boots, I can't wait to see how warm they are for steelheading on the T when the water temps are 38 degrees. For AK, these should be great. Got the aluminum bite star cleats, too. I'll report back after a little use.