PDA

View Full Version : 5 Dot Stillwater Clinic Report

Terry Thomas
07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Just returned from the July 5 Dot Stillwater Clinic with Rob Anderson and Doug Ouellette. 12 students attended with a couple doing their second clinic. In a word, the weekend was "outstanding!" The weather cooperated and 5 Dot was at a good water level. Friday evening started with a stillwater presentation by Doug. Everyone in the class received a 22 page booklet that Doug and Rob put together from their many years of guiding. This reference book will be a source of information for me that I can use for many years.

Rob prepared a super meal after the presentation that everyone enjoyed. After dinner Doug put on a power point program that high lighted important subjects in the booklet. One of Doug's specialties is the "floater-no-cator" technique. This was an eye opener for me and a tactic that Doug has mastered over many years. On Saturday we hit the lake to put our education into use. I was blown away with just how effective the "floater-no-cator" system works. We lost count of how many fish we caught. At lunch, Rob showed us his "DCA" system (depth control apparatus). Rob has taken the break away indo system to a new level...pardon the pun. Those using this technique in the afternoon and on Sunday hammered the trout.

If you are serious about learning stillwater techniques, this is a must attend class for you in the future. I believe that Doug and Rob have one more class coming up the third weekend in September. Perhaps they can give some of the information in a follow up post.

Doug Ouellette: calvadaflyfishing@sbcglobal.net

Rob Anderson: rob@bucketlistflyfishing.com

Truckee River Outfitters

http://truckeeriveroutfitters.com/

Bull_Dog
07-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey Terry,

Thanks for the kind words. I am pretty sure everyone had a good time. I love being able to spend time fishing with other anglers. What a great setting to meet new people. I am glad I have an opportunity to share my version of Fly Fishing. It has a little Redneck in it for sure.

Our Fall outing is Sept. 28-30 and we still have 5-6 spots available. Late September is a great time to be at 5-Dot. The Callabaetis are starting to hatch again and we usually get in some great dry fly fishing. Not to mention the weather is usually great as well. Here are a few pics from the July Outing.

Gotta love the Lakeside Powerpoint show. I really wanted to watch Old School on Saturday night but there was too much to talk about.

Thanks again,

Rob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I will try to make one of these events.

I have heard from several friends who have taken this seminar and they say that it is off the chart...super technical info about still water fly fishing.

After this class you can give up trolling in a float tube or pontoon boat and throw away those indicators....yahoo.

http://truckeeriveroutfitters.com/

k.hanley
08-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Well done Rob and Doug. It's great to see the clinic experiences evolving in our industry. It's been a long road with outreach development. You are carrying along the legacy of "making memories" -- and "that aint a bad thing to do!"

Nice going. I hope to be a student in one of your clinics.
Cheers, Ken

Bull_Dog
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
We appreciate any pat on the back. I take myself off the guide schedule for a week to pull off this event. It is a lot of work. It is worth it when we see an angler evolve and learn something he or she can use for a long time to come. we would love the chance to spend a weekend with you and serve you a burnt burger or two :-D

Rob

JohnS
08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Rob

when is the next stillwater clinic ? Is there still room available?

John

Bull_Dog
08-16-2012, 07:35 AM
John,

We do still have about 5 spaces available for September 28-30. I get a lot of calls and emails daily but there still is some space.

If anyone would like more information I can be reached at 775.742.1754 or rob@bucketlistflyfishing.com

Rob