PDA

View Full Version : Far NorCal or Oregon?

Troutsource
07-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm rapidly approaching what will be my longest trip in a few years.

Thursday morning I'll be doing a 4-day trip with another guy. We're driving north from Sacramento and San Francisco. I have a decent sense of what's going in in NorCal but not southern Oregon. Is it worth driving another hour or two to the Grande Ronde, Rogue or other rivers (for trout or steelhead)? We're looking primarily for wade fishing and either camping or a hotel. We've thought about the Pit, but were thinking of trying something new. It's supposed to be blistering hot in the valley so ideally we'd be further north or higher up in elevation. We have camping gear and are in pretty good shape and can hike. We both have regular rods and switch rods.

Thanks in advance. We'll post the results.

PM is OK.

Langenbeck
07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
First off the Grande Ronde is about an eight hour drive from the CA border. There will be some summer steelhead in the lower Rogue up to Agness. To fish Southern Oregon I would come in late October when there are lots of steelhead, low stable flows, nice weather and pretty fall colors. At this time of year am fishing lakes in the 4,000 to 6,000 foot range.

Troutsource
07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Trip got cancelled, dammit!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback Langenbeck. You excel at torturing us with your chronicles, though I look forward to more.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I think that the Deschutes River has caddis activity this time of year with large wild Rainbow trout.

Lots of great lakes in Oregon too.

I would check with the fly shops in Bend.

robdog
07-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I know this might sound crazy, but you could check out the catch & release section of the East fork of the Carson. Lot of water & if you are willing to hike, not much pressure.

kylgrn
07-12-2012, 11:33 PM
If I could take a 4 day trip right now I might head up highway 89 or out to the Bridgeport area.