PDA

View Full Version : ECHO ION Reel 8/10

veodobles
07-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Just a few words about this reel. I purchased 2 reels 8/10 before going to Oregon 2 weeks ago, I used them 7 days in the North Umpqua and both reels developed the same problem after 2-3 days of fishing, the break does not work any more and the spool is completely loose and uneven in the reel axis. I suspect that the problem is a little screw inside the break rotor that somehow gets loose anytime that you try to adjust the break, and at some point either it breaks or does not make contact anymore with the break pads. Bringing them back to the fly shop to check if they can fix or replace them.

aaron
07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
When you say break are you referring to the drag knob? We've had zero issues with the dozens we've sold, take them back to where you bought them and they should take care of you.

veodobles
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
That's correct, the screw inside the drag knob gets somehow loose and rotates along with the drag knob in both directions, making the spool loose and uneven in the reel axis, and the reel break completely useless. I tried to put the screw back as tight as I can but it goes back to the loose position after playing with the drag knob a few times. Both reels have developed the same issue http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_322089_999_01?hei=380&wid=380

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
We have actually sold hundreds of those reels this year with no returns as of yet.

Most of our staff have some of them too.

Guide Jason Hartwick tested them on fresh King Salmon at the Hoodoo Lodge in Alaska last summer and that is why we got excited about them at their price point.

http://www.hoodoofishing.com/index.htm

There is a little confusion on how to loosen the spool retainer but that doesn't sound like your issue.

Bring them by our shop and we can take a look at them.....

aaron
07-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Sounds like some locktite would fix the issue, no?

veodobles
07-10-2012, 01:12 PM
yes Aaron, i am willing to put "locktite" in the drag knob of a fly reel... Thanks Bill, Ill bring them back to the shop to see if they can be fixed.